Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Leaving out the median-hate and the sidewalk widening [[why? It was wide enough at the height of the Avenue of Fashion.), I would agree with this, except for the obvious and probably insurmountable problem that it is nowhere near the center of redevelopment of the city. The Black Bottom idea, dubious and synthetic as it is, at least would have the prospect of piggybacking on other activities.
    Then how do we explain the development in the Old Redford area, or the plans in the works at the Fairgrounds? Those sites aren't near any redevelopment, they are the redevelopment.

I would love to see something beautiful in the works for the lower east side, and it is only possible with the involvement of what's left of the community. But as with so many other "great ideas" around here, it will be top down, artificial, and catering to people not even living in that area. Dubious and synthetic, great choice of words.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Then how do we explain the development in the Old Redford area, or the plans in the works at the Fairgrounds? Those sites aren't near any redevelopment, they are the redevelopment.
    I didn't mean that 7-Livernois couldn't or shouldn't be redeveloped--I've seen some improvement there already. For instance, I remember when there were literally no sit-down restaurants, and now there are some. I meant that it wasn't likely to be a "destination point for all visitors" as described by Finley. It is just too isolated from where the visitors are.

I would love to see something beautiful in the works for the lower east side, and it is only possible with the involvement of what's left of the community. But as with so many other "great ideas" around here, it will be top down, artificial, and catering to people not even living in that area. Dubious and synthetic, great choice of words.
    We hope for better things.
    Last edited by mwilbert; August-04-15 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post

Every neighborhood has a future, it's just not the time for yours.