Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Dexter-Davison area has the distinction of being one of Detroit's toughest neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Dexter-Davison area has the distinction of being one of Detroit's toughest neighborhoods.
    Really? I'm around there all the time and it doesn't seem tough at all compared to some other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Really? I'm around there all the time and it doesn't seem tough at all compared to some other areas.
    had a bullshit job running amok with a duffel bag almost a decade back. Terrible job. I would pick a road and talk to everybody i ran into. People in shops, on the street, the gas station etc. Just hustling cheap impulse junk. There were a couple areas that were remarkable in that the overall outlook was just bad. People seemed shady, drama, sirens, and a bad vibe. Dexter and Linwood between Joy and Davison was perhaps the epitome of this. Regardless there was money to make thru there. Nobody had money but they were willing to spend what little they had on stupid items that nobody needs. I could tell stories but i wont

btw, no offense if any of you live thru there. There are decent people everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    People seemed shady, drama, sirens, and a bad vibe.
    Pretty much this. There's more petty crime than there is violent crime. But crime is crime and it's easier just to avoid it if you can.

And typically, the older folks actually respect the neighborhood and there are people who are down to earth, but I could say there are just as many people who'll eyeball you and your belongings to make a quick buck.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; September-09-11 at 11:05 PM.

It depends on what you've 'adapted' to... rendering the rough to seem normal - ala a day in the 'hood. Like the the 'new norm' but IMO it's gotten pretty grim around there.

The decline started about 10 years ago with the close of that police precinct at Elmerst and Livernois... The housing crash eroded the property value, middle class residents left... crime increased.

And some abandoned homes in the area are no longer boarded up. Like the torched house where little Mariah Smiths body was found in on Waverly.

And that grim gas station nearbly that sold the cupful of gasoline.

I try not to go to any ghetto-hood gas stations in that area. It simply is not safe, nor is that this a walkable community. Everything is done by car... Even the Dexter bus line is very slow.

For example, I was considering a property on Tyler and declined after I saw what that street has become. Sure, there are some really nice homes architecturally speaking on Fullerton, Tyler etc. that would be great IF they be 'removed' and relocated elsewhere.

Drive 'onto' these streets and you can see what goes on... Things have even gotten worse for the Russell Woods area around Tyler and even Ewald Circle on that other side of Davison that was holding out up thru the last 5 years.

Davison Ave. hosts one of the few McDonalds with bullet-roof glass. Joy...

Dexter particularly is rough - a shadow of what is once was. Some of the occupied streets off Dexter [[including Fullerton) have beautiful brick homes, many with ornate fixtures, leaded glass and marble and plaster. Yet, location... LOCATION!

These are examples of some of the most majestic two-family and single family of Detroit, yet to have to deal with Dexter and Linwood and some of the burnt outs area and blocks... ummm.

Though I do try to patronize that Ace hardware up on Davison near Linwood...
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-11-11 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    It depends on what you've 'adapted' to... rendering the rough to seem normal - ala a day in the 'hood. Like the the 'new norm' but IMO it's gotten pretty grim around there.

The decline started about 10 years ago with the close of that police precinct at Elmerst and Livernois... The housing crash eroded the property value, middle class residents left... crime increased.

And some abandoned homes in the area are no longer boarded up. Like the torched house where little Mariah Smiths body was found in on Waverly.

And that grim gas station nearbly that sold the cupful of gasoline.

I try not to go to any ghetto-hood gas stations in that area. It simply is not safe, nor is that this a walkable community. Everything is done by car... Even the Dexter bus line is very slow.

For example, I was considering a property on Tyler and declined after I saw what that street has become. Sure, there are some really nice homes architecturally speaking on Fullerton, Tyler etc. that would be great IF they be 'removed' and relocated elsewhere.

Drive 'onto' these streets and you can see what goes on... Things have even gotten worse for the Russell Woods area around Tyler and even Ewald Circle on that other side of Davison that was holding out up thru the last 5 years.

Davison Ave. hosts one of the few McDonalds with bullet-roof glass. Joy...

Dexter particularly is rough - a shadow of what is once was. Some of the occupied streets off Dexter [[including Fullerton) have beautiful brick homes, many with ornate fixtures, leaded glass and marble and plaster. Yet, location... LOCATION!

These are examples of some of the most majestic two-family and single family of Detroit, yet to have to deal with Dexter and Linwood and some of the burnt outs area and blocks... ummm.

Though I do try to patronize that Ace hardware up on Davison near Linwood...
    The housing stock in Detroit was / is / could be again absolutely beautiful. When I see those beautiful brick buildings neglected, crumbling or stripped it makes me sick.
    Compare those dwellings to the new crap they're putting up around the city.

Isn't that the truth! And indeed a shame to see these properties go down to abandoned hulks.
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The housing stock in Detroit was / is / could be again absolutely beautiful. When I see those beautiful brick buildings neglected, crumbling or stripped it makes me sick.
    Compare those dwellings to the new crap they're putting up around the city.