Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Are there any plans to extend the median and streetscaping from Chalmers to 375? Or just the lane pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    Are there any plans to extend the median and streetscaping from Chalmers to 375? Or just the lane pattern?
    The intention is to do the streetscaping all the way, but I think they're dependent on whatever money comes around. This is the group that was pushing for the streetscaping: https://jeffersoneast.org/

And I might just be dumb, but in Jefferson Chalmers, how do you turn left to get to a business on the other side of the street? And it doesn't seem like there's actually that many pedestrian crossings? It seems like the only real difference is that there's bushes instead of a left turn lane, and a new bike lane. Mack Avenue in Grosse Pointe Woods has the street parking/michigan left combo which is really convenient for drivers. And the median, the way the traffic flows, and the frequent pedestrian crossings makes it really easy to walk around there.

Stupid move. In three years since they created the bike lanes on Jefferson between Alter and Chalmers, I have seen ZERO bikes but huge traffic congestion. There are six-foot wide sidewalks for bikes to use. Now we are going to have to put up with this nonsense all the way downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Stupid move. In three years since they created the bike lanes on Jefferson between Alter and Chalmers, I have seen ZERO bikes but huge traffic congestion. There are six-foot wide sidewalks for bikes to use. Now we are going to have to put up with this nonsense all the way downtown.
    Not so much traffic congestion as traffic control. Since the bike lanes went in the speed of the traffic went from 50+ plus mph to 35-40 where it should be. I find that I spend 2 or 3 extra minutes going through the area compared to the previous configuration.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; October-23-17 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Not so much traffic congestion as traffic control. Since the bike lanes went in the speed of the traffic went from 50+ plus mph to 35-40 where it should be. I find that I spend 2 or 3 extra minutes going through the area compared to the original configuration.
    Yes, part of the point of narrowing streets is to slow traffic down. It's called "traffic calming" and it provably makes cyclists and pedestrians safer, and reduces the severity of accidents. It's being done in major cities all over the country, particularly in conjunction with the installation of more dedicated bike lanes.

DetroitNightLights Guest

I don't think bicycles are supposed to use sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitNightLights View Post
    I don't think bicycles are supposed to use sidewalks.
    Bicyclists have the moral highground these days. Detroit, fortunately, doesn't have a lot of bridges when compared, say, to Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Cleveland. Its normal these days to dedicate at least a full lane on bridges to bicycles.

Welcome to the future. We missed you.

They are a pain but I try to be fair to the cyclist even when I don't see them. Five months of potential snow, yet still the need for the Cycle Areas? I dunno. Maybe end it between December and February. But that's not cool I guess.

Anyway they are going to have to put up those polls [[bollards) as people are just driving in the bike lanes now. Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    And I might just be dumb, but in Jefferson Chalmers, how do you turn left to get to a business on the other side of the street?

And I might just be dumb, but in Jefferson Chalmers, how do you turn left to get to a business on the other side of the street? And it doesn't seem like there's actually that many pedestrian crossings? It seems like the only real difference is that there's bushes instead of a left turn lane, and a new bike lane. Mack Avenue in Grosse Pointe Woods has the street parking/michigan left combo which is really convenient for drivers. And the median, the way the traffic flows, and the frequent pedestrian crossings makes it really easy to walk around there.
    In Georgia, where this type of street configuration is common, it's perfectly legal to just do a U-Turn around the median wherever there's an opening.