Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    You beat me to it. Very well put.
    Siding with you guys on this.

If you think a protest march is likely to become violent, you don't understand where most of the violence in Detroit stems from. Most of the non legally justifiable homicides in this city are around drug disputes, domestic violence, and highly escalated conflicts that erupt.

You know how to create highly escalating conflicts? Find someone who is angry and then tell them that they're not allowed to express their anger peacefully. Now you're asking for trouble.

More and more young people I know -- of all races -- are showing a receptivity to the Black Lives Matter movement, even some of my friends from the conservative west side of the state.

Now that doesn't mean that it's all Kumbaya out there. But when Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan are coming out saying that they're changing their tune on race relations, there's clearly an inflection point taking place in the mass consciousness.

Here's an example that's starting go viral on LinkedIn

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-pul...oo-jeff-nelson

A few years ago, I was in business school in Chicago. During a group discussion on hiring practices I brought up the idea of bias and white privilege. After the discussion, my classmate came up to me and asked, ‘what is white privilege?’ I remember sharing my perspective on the numerous times throughout the past 24 hours where my race had given me undue advantages. We talked, we debated, and I moved on.
    But after this week, my answer is simpler. As a white heterosexual, Christian man in this country, my privilege means I live. And my wife and my children go to sleep each night knowing full well that my identity – my religion, my race, my gender, my sexual orientation - will never be the reason I die in this country. I received a speeding ticket and made it to the parade. And Philando Castile will be buried this weekend.

Now that doesn't mean that it's all Kumbaya out there. But when Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan are coming out saying that they're changing their tune on race relations,

Most white Americans "don't understand being black in America" and the discrimination African Americans face, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, said Friday.

...there's clearly an inflection point taking place in the mass consciousness.

Let the people be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Siding with you guys on this.

If you think a protest march is likely to become violent, you don't understand where most of the violence in Detroit stems from. Most of the non legally justifiable homicides in this city are around drug disputes, domestic violence, and highly escalated conflicts that erupt.

You know how to create highly escalating conflicts? Find someone who is angry and then tell them that they're not allowed to express their anger peacefully. Now you're asking for trouble.
    CY, I think this is the first time that I'm disagreeing with you. It's entirely possible for a protest march to turn violent. Highly charged emotions combined with something that attracts some [[not all) fringe elements certainly has very real potential for trouble.

Yes, most [[2/3) of the violence in Detroit stems from drug activity, gang activity, and domestic violence. However, a sizeable portion [[1/3) does not...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/c...t-hard-numbers