Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...ict-Buildings/

Metropolitan Hotel Partners, a joint venture between Detroit-based Means Group and Roxbury Group, has acquired The Metropolitan Building, located at 33 John R St., from the Downtown Development Property.

The acquisition will result in a $32 million development plan to renovate the Weston-and Ellington-designed building, completed in 1925, into an extended-stay Element hotel brand.

“The redevelopment of The Metropolitan Building serves an important role in downtown’s revitalization,” says Eric Means, CEO of Means Group. “Not only are we activating a building that has sat vacant for 40 years, but we are filling a critical gap in city’s hotel market.”

The renovation of the 100,000-square-foot building, which is expected to be complete in summer 2018, will have 110 one or two bedroom rooms, 2,000 square feet of meeting space on the second floor mezzanine level, 7,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor and lower level, and an outdoor patio on the 11th floor rear rooftop.

Good update.

I am surprised that neither this project or the nearby Wurlitzer Bldg hotel project appears to be incorporating the adjacent vacant lot on the corner of Broadway and Grand River.
    It would seem that this vacant lot would be a good place to build some 1) additional rooms, 2) convention hall rooms for the hotel, or 3) include any elevator shafts and fire staircases necessary to bring the new hotels up to code.
    Because it is immediately adjacent to both projects, I thought one of the two hotel projects may scoop it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

I am surprised that neither this project or the nearby Wurlitzer Bldg hotel project appears to be incorporating the adjacent vacant lot on the corner of Broadway and Grand River.
    It would seem that this vacant lot would be a good place to build some 1) additional rooms, 2) convention hall rooms for the hotel, or 3) include any elevator shafts and fire staircases necessary to bring the new hotels up to code.
    Because it is immediately adjacent to both projects, I thought one of the two hotel projects may scoop it up.
    Most of that site will be taken up by a substation for the M-1 rail.

Quote Originally Posted by BMoo View Post
    Most of that site will be taken up by a substation for the M-1 rail.
    Interesting... I didn't know that. But with the people mover cutting the corner, I guess they are doubling down on transit uses.