Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
I like Snyder because he comes across as a person who wants us to work together to solve problems, as opposed to pointing fingers at each other. It's easy for me to write out a laundry list of people who are at fault for Detroit's demise, but it is much harder for me to roll up my sleeves and get ready to dig in to help Detroit and the metro community. However, the finger pointing is not what Detroit and Michigan needs, what we need are the ones with innovative ideas, work ethic, and a willingness to get things done. I think Snyder has great potential and I am looking forward to see what he can make happen. Finally a politician that considers all of us as "us" instead of "them".
Exactly. He's also a resident -- and will remain a resident -- of one of Michigan's most desirable communities. I have my issues with Tree Town, but I will miss the ability to walk to retail, buses that run every 10-15 minutes rain or shine, snow or sleet, maintained city-scaled parks within older infrastructure, and living in a community where there are people with a range of incomes. [[Before I moved up here, I thought that A2 was sort of like Grosse Pointe or Birmingham.)

People say that Ann Arbor is a college town and therefore not a model for revitalizing a city, but every major metropolis in the Northeast and Midwest has an Ann Arbor equivalent within city limits. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I'm glad our new governor lives where he does -- Snyder may understand that not everyone's dream is to live in sprawl "with all the charm of a fancy truck stop."