Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thanks for the reply. I've been misspelling it for years. I too skated at the St. Hedwig Rink.

I'm trying to find the location of Frankie's Bar which I think was not far off Livernois, south of Michigan Ave.

Anyone remember that place?

The Fountain Lounge Go-Go bar at Joy and Heyden. Shot pool there and "commiserated" with the dancers. Jean and her husband ran the place until he passed then with her two sons. She would not let pool monies change hands. Instead we played for beers and she keep a tally and also the beer money. She had ulsers thus her shots of scotch were mixed with milk. Also Walter's Bar at Joy and Evergreen was my dad's hangout.
    Last edited by BRAZZMAN; May-02-12 at 10:49 PM. Reason: more info

Default Frankies Bar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
    I'm trying to find the location of Frankie's Bar which I think was not far off Livernois, south of Michigan Ave.

Anyone remember that place?
    Frankie's was on Campbell and Herbert St. [[right along I-94). I spent many hours in that place after work. I have a lot of great memories there. After a certain time of night, they locked the front doors and only let in locals. They wanted to keep the riff raff out. The night time bartender was "J.D." He was a short and very strong guy who always had something great to say about you. I made some really great friends there. I looked it up on Google Maps and it looks like a vacant lot now. I remember the owner would get off work at one of the auto plants around mid-afternoon. He would come to his bar, eat some food and proceed to drink until he passed out. Then someone would take him home. He did this many times every week.
    I also remember they had a really great garbage salad and mini-tacos that were heavenly. I don't know what made them so great. They were frozen, deep fried mini-tacos served with sour cream and salsa. Something made them great.

Welcome to the forum.

Why did you choose the username "onepercent"?

Ha! Ha!

onepercent / I don't know what made them so great. They were frozen, deep fried mini-tacos served with sour cream and salsa. Something made them great.
    It may have been the bartender telling how great you were or the part owner passing out next to you.

Anyone remember the West View Garden across from the West End Theatre On Warren Ave. West of Livernois. How about Irenes Bar which I think was on Serena. That was the place my great-grandfather cashed his pension check and didn't always find his way back home.

How about Wolverine Market and Alytaus Bar on Michigan Avenue
    Home of the Kushmakers. Mid-town Michigan Avenue was a busy stretch during the late '50s early '60s.

I also lived across from Priest School Casper from 1961-1965. I thought it was a great place to live with so many bakeries around. My dad owned Frank's Sash & Screen on McGraw for a short time. When his truck was broken into, he said it was time to move. Off to Warrendale where the Polish Bakery was still King!

I miss Senate Coney Island too! I lived on Clippert behind the public school. My sons went there but I don't remember the name. My mother in-law owned the Dixie Bell Bar on Vernor and McKinstry. Lots of good times there. What happened to our great town. Everyone seems to have such good memories. Me too!!

Yep and there the best Coney Islands you can get. George's comes in a close second. Don't forget the Coney on Vernor called Duly's. What used to be the Hungry Eye on Vernor turned out to be the Dixie Belle Bar. All country! That was for all the southern people who moved to Detroit to work at the auto industries. Sure was some good times there. Anyone remember? Marykay

Wow my brother Leo, was at the club every chance he had. He won all the trophy's with swimming. He won with the butterfly stroke. Wow so many for the club. I don't know if anyone ever did break his record. Anyone know the name of the school on Cicotte. We lived on Clippert in back of the school. Marykay

Anybody remember Hu-It's or the Kenwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    Reibert's [[sp?) Bakery on Vernor had the best bread with an insanely chewy crust. We always picked up a loaf or two whenever we visited my Grandma's place on Carson. There was also an ice cream shop [[I think) on Vernor that had a cool band organ with drums and cymbals along with piano.
    Rebert's was the best bakery in the Vernor area. Their pecan caramel coffee cakes were a treat with the Sunday Free Press. There was an OK bakery on Springwells called Cousins, and the Chamberlain Bakery was a neighborhood institution. There were two quite different, but both great, ice cream shops on Vernor: the Paradise, right at Springwells, with its 1910 atmosphere - high dark booths, lazy fans and pressed tin ceiling - and Wilson's Dairy, near Stair, which was pure 50's - a central island fountain with a counter up front for carry-outs. Along the walls on either side were those "blond oak" booths with turquoise upholstery. The walls, again pure 50's, were flamingo, and the counter and booths all had those little juke box selectors. A banana split or a hut fudge sundae there, with the great music nonstop, remains a priceless memory.
    Last edited by A2Mike; December-31-13 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    Rebert's was the best bakery in the Vernor area. Thier pecan caramel coffee cakes were a treat with the Sunday Free Press. There was an OK bakery on Springwells called Cousins, and the Chamberlain Bakery was a neighborhood institution. There were two quite different, but both great, ice cream shops on Vernor: the Paradise, right at Springwells, with its 1910 atmosphere - high dark booths, lazy fans and pressed tin ceiling - and Wilson's Dairy, near Stair, which was pure 50's - a central island fountain with a counter up front for carry-outs. Along the walls on either side were those "blond oak" booths with turquoise upholstery. The walls, again pure 50's, were flamingo, and the counter and booths all had those little juke box selectors. A banana split or a hut fudge sundae there, with the great music nonstop, remains a priceless memory.
    Used to go to Paradise all the time after school in the 60's!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Used to go to Paradise all the time after school in the 60's!
    I went to St. Gabe's [[class of '63) and liked an occasional stop there. They made their own candy and, I think, their own ice cream too. I remember them open several years into the 70's before I moved.

Does anyone remember "People's Restaurant" located on Michigan Ave. just west of Livernois?

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    I went to St. Gabe's [[class of '63) and liked an occasional stop there. They made their own candy and, I think, their own ice cream too. I remember them open several years into the 70's before I moved.
    St. Gabe's 1970, Paradise made both their own candy and ice cream.

Herman's Bakery on Schoolcraft just east of Greenfield was great. It's not to be confused with the Herman's in Royal Oak [[different owners).
    Brownies for seven cents and danish that was wonderful.

Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the northeast corner of McGraw and Addison? It burned down in a suspicious fire killing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by chopingirl View Post
    Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the northeast corner of McGraw and Addison? It burned down in a suspicious fire killing someone.
    Lefty's
    They used to cash checks when we got paid from FoMoCo.

Are you quite sure? Do remember any details of the fire? I have a discussion going on with my sister about this and she may owe me a brewski!!!

Does anyone remember the Dixiebelle Bar on Vernor and Mckinstry????

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, great stuff.

My favorite name was the Skyliner on 35th and Herbert. Bar and a church on every corner in that neighborhood. The patrons were all great on Halloween night.

Also a drinking spot on Herbert and 33rd or 32nd. We were on Junction between Herbert and Horatio. A plethora of riches.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast