Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

First of all, it's not a "Detroit" district. It's split between Detroit and Harper Woods, Grosse Pointe Woods, and Grosse Pointe Shores.

But I'm sure glad that I don't live there. Low turnout primaries sometimes have odd results, and this was one of them.

In what was essentially a 4 way Democratic primary for an open seat much of the vote split between real estate guy Scott Benson, longtime community activist Valerie Kindle, and former Wayne County Commissioner Chris Cavanagh [[Jerry's son). This allowed "reformed man" and law school graduate [[but non-lawyer - perhaps because of his felony convictions?) Brian Banks to sneak through by less than 100 votes over Benson - with some key financial and campaign support from our favorite international bridge owner, who seems to feel that he has something at stake in State Rep races...

The Republican candidate - who has no realistic shot in this overwhelmingly Democratic district - is a GP Shores guy who is in danger of being booted off of their council for being such an insufferable jerk.

So, no real choice at all there. Perhaps a better organized Democratic primary campaign would be a good idea in 2014?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-28-12 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    First of all, it's not a "Detroit" district. It's split between Detroit and Harper Woods, Grosse Pointe Woods, and Grosse Pointe Shores.

But I'm sure glad that I don't live there. Low turnout primaries sometimes have odd results, and this was one of them.

In what was essentially a 4 way Democratic primary for an open seat much of the vote split between real estate guy Scott Benson, longtime community activist Valerie Kindle, and former Wayne County Commissioner Chris Cavanagh [[Jerry's son). This allowed "reformed man" and law school graduate [[but non-lawyer - perhaps because of his felony convictions?) Brian Banks to sneak through by less than 100 votes over Benson - with some key financial and campaign support from our favorite international bridge owner, who seems to feel that he has something at stake in State Rep races...

The Republican candidate - who has no realistic shot in this overwhelmingly Democratic district - is a GP Shores guy who is in danger of being booted off of their council for being such an insufferable jerk.

So, no real choice at all there. Perhaps a better organized Democratic primary campaign would be a good idea in 2014?
    My fellow eastsider, this is the most valuable information I have encountered in this race amid all the static thus far. Thanks.
    I'm exactly 5 houses from being in said district so these characters buzz around here a lot. I get the impression Banks campaigned hard, though. We've never seen such a showing of yard signs in the northern half of East English Village [[his district), and at the nicer homes, too.
    He'll win, I just hope he truly is reformed...and can speak truth to power...