Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Russix, thanks for the update. I was curious to know whether things had stalled temporarily.

Lorax Guest

Sorry, but I don't buy any of this crap about case law, and find it hard to believe that if a building's cornice is in danger of killing people, and does, then the city will still be sued for not mitigating the problem in the first place by hauling the building owner into court.

The same argument was made here in the city of North Miami, which is a separate city from Miami, with an older downtown section which until about 10 years ago had giant black olive trees lining the city's main commerical drag, 125th st.

Some idiot ran up over the curb and hit one of the trees and died, so the city was sued, successfully, with the court saying the trees should have been on the building side of the sidewalk, not between the sidewalk and the curb.

So, the city destroyed over 200 black olive trees, which were planted in the 1950's, [[this was not taken into consideration or grandfathered in) and nearly completely shaded the busy street.

They were not replaced, so this one act led to a scorching hot street, where people stopped coming to walk and shop, which in turn led to most of the stores closing over time- even Starbuck's left when the street turned to shit.

All because of one stupid, misguided act by a judge who decided that if one tree was a killer, all trees are killers, and should be removed to protect the people.

The point in all of this, is why does the quality of life in an urban environment not be geared toward all people, not just the few? Why should the slumlords be protected from "harrassment" as you call it, when all they are doing is being allowed to contribute to the downfall of the quality of life in the city?

If the city can't write citations for major buildings which are dangerous, then why should any of us pull permits, pay parking fines, get certificates of occupancy, or abide by any law? If this is what Detroit has come to, then there is no future.

They've punched a large hole in the front of the Lafayette Building on Shelby.

Damn, it's really happening.....another missing tooth in the skyline.

Stromberg2

Any pictures? If I am able to get to the city before it is demolished, I will try to post some.

If your teeth make up the skyline, you're probably on your back dead.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Damn, it's really happening.....another missing tooth in the skyline.

Stromberg2

And Lorax, that's why so many have left.

Lorax Guest

Guess that explains it, then.

These pictures are from August 26th. I will try to get some pictures when I am down there today.

PQZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy any of this crap about case law, and find it hard to believe that if a building's cornice is in danger of killing people, and does, then the city will still be sued for not mitigating the problem in the first place by hauling the building owner into court.
    The point in all of this, is why does the quality of life in an urban environment not be geared toward all people, not just the few? Why should the slumlords be protected from "harrassment" as you call it, when all they are doing is being allowed to contribute to the downfall of the quality of life in the city?

If the city can't write citations for major buildings which are dangerous, then why should any of us pull permits, pay parking fines, get certificates of occupancy, or abide by any law? If this is what Detroit has come to, then there is no future.
    You are completely missing the point, as usual. You and others have advocated singling out specific slumlords for being blitzed with citiations. Case law has shown repeatedly you cannot single out individuals or specific buildings for inordinate attention. Doing so constitutes harrassment and if it results in the city condemning the building, it becomes a defacto eminent domain without just compensation.

All a slumlord has to do is show they are receiving different treatment from other building owners.

So why doesn't the city just pick up a huge citation stick and go after everyone?

1. No budget for the amount of inspectors needed
    2. No budget for the blight court [[recall City Council defunded it and Bing had to restore the dollars) to process the violations
    3. Voter backlash as struggling families are slapped with fines they can't afford on houses / dwellings they can't afford to repair
    4. Slumlords dealing with the issue by evicting renters and turning to the Devil's Night Solution

Photos from the last couple days:

http://detroitfunk.com/?p=2234

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PQZ View Post
    You are completely missing the point, as usual. You and others have advocated singling out specific slumlords for being blitzed with citiations. Case law has shown repeatedly you cannot single out individuals or specific buildings for inordinate attention. Doing so constitutes harrassment and if it results in the city condemning the building, it becomes a defacto eminent domain without just compensation.

All a slumlord has to do is show they are receiving different treatment from other building owners.

So why doesn't the city just pick up a huge citation stick and go after everyone?

1. No budget for the amount of inspectors needed
    2. No budget for the blight court [[recall City Council defunded it and Bing had to restore the dollars) to process the violations
    3. Voter backlash as struggling families are slapped with fines they can't afford on houses / dwellings they can't afford to repair
    4. Slumlords dealing with the issue by evicting renters and turning to the Devil's Night Solution
    No, actually you're the one missing the point- since the beginning of this discussion.

You're advocating for not enforcing laws on the books, thinking I'm advocating for singling out slumlords on specific buildings.

I don't discriminate- hand out citations to any slumlord who allows his building to slide into the condition the Lafayette has suffered through.

If it's such a "hardship" on the slumlord to own property in the city, then maybe they shouldn't.

You need to resist dragging residential real estate into this discsssion of a commerical property.

Again, for the fifth time, there aren't too many residences in Detroit that have 10,000 lb. stone cornices in danger of falling onto pedestrians.

Keep your apples and oranges separate, please.

And I don't buy the idea that Detroit has a lack of money for inspectors, when meter maids are on top of their revenue-generating jobs, inspectors in every other American city are viewed as both public saftey officials and revenue generators.

What? Detroit has something against making money? Why don't you stop making excuses for a corrupt city that chooses to waste millions on boondoggles such as building a new Cass Tech when it wasn't necessary.

The funds are there, it's a matter of priorities.

Such a waste.

I swear I saw PQZ sporting an Adamo knit cap and Adamo French blue button down long sleeve shirt the other day. Follow the Adamo money and see where it goes.

http://adamogroup.org/products/

Sad to see yet another pre-war building in Detroit taken down. With the Lafayette Building gone, the coney dogs next door will no doubt taste a little different next time.

PQZ Guest

Lorax:

Perhaps you should change your name to Ostrich as you have your head firmly in the sand.

Detroit is on the verge of bankruptcy, has already enacted furloughs and is headed towards mass lay-offs, yet you are convionced the City has $400,000,000 in change hidden in the couch cushions because the privatized meter miads are doing their jobs.

Building departments nationally generate revenue through new build and renovation inspection fees. That revenue goes to offset the violation and nusiance inspection costs. If no-one is building in Detroit, then ther are no fees coming in to support the nuisance inspectors.

Simple math my friend, simple math.

...the simple math that keeps the Adamos of our sick little corner of the world doing what they do best...

Lorax Guest

PQZ, when have I denied that Detroit is broke? I have stated this numerous times, and that isn't finally the point- money is squandered on dozens of worthless projects, new construction, etc. If meter maids can run as efficiently as they do, so could building inspectors. It's simply not true what you say regarding new construction permitting versus citations for violations on existing buildings. One has nothing to do with the other.

Inspections are done on a regular basis for elevators, mechanicals, masonry falling, etc. Would you ride on elevators that aren't inspected? Chances are, because Detroit is broke, that even this isn't even being done- I have never said that Detroit is operating from a sane position of governance.

But the fact remains, that with all the waste in government in Detroit, there has been the money available over many years of such waste to mitigate empty buildings, and to enforce laws on the books regarding basic maintenance.

It hasn't been done, and that is why Detroit is unique among large US cities due to this corruption. At lease in corrupt city governments like Chicago, the corruption is never done at the expense of the city, as is the case in Detroit.

While you throw up your hands and give up, I, at least have identified the problem, and offered solutions to rectify them. Read my past posts to see what they are, they are too numerous to retype again.

Some pictures from yesterday:

Last edited by ASR89; September-09-09 at 06:34 PM.

Last edited by ASR89; September-09-09 at 06:39 PM.

Haikoont Guest

While you throw up your hands and give up, I, at least have identified the problem, and offered solutions to rectify them. Read my past posts to see what they are, they are too numerous to retype again.
    Awesome news. Some miscellaneous person in Florida has identified Detroit's problems and offered solutions. We should starting rising any day now.

PQZ Guest

While you throw up your hands and give up, I, at least have identified the problem, and offered solutions to rectify them. .
    No you haven't. You have made grand and sweeping pronouncements and have met factual statements with "I'm not buying it".

As far as giving up, 6 1/2 years as a project lead on making the Book Cadillac a reality and having been involved with more than $500 million in other historic renovation projects around Detroit, I can safely assert that I speak from a position of knowledge about the issues facing buildings like the Lafayette. So kindly GFY.

what about the building between the Lafayette building and the coneys - is that getting flattened too?

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PQZ View Post
    No you haven't. You have made grand and sweeping pronouncements and have met factual statements with "I'm not buying it".

As far as giving up, 6 1/2 years as a project lead on making the Book Cadillac a reality and having been involved with more than $500 million in other historic renovation projects around Detroit, I can safely assert that I speak from a position of knowledge about the issues facing buildings like the Lafayette. So kindly GFY.
    Based on your arcane, needlessly complicated posts, you have just about as much experience at this sort of thing as a doorknob- and are about as intelligent. Why should anyone buy it?

You may as well be describing yourself, since you take delight in mischaracterizing my points with erroneous "facts" as you call them, layering on nonsense so as to hide your lack of knowing what the hell you're talking about.

And as for your "position of knowledge" refer to your "GFY" to figure out what that position should be.
    Last edited by Lorax; September-10-09 at 07:28 PM.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haikoont View Post
    Awesome news. Some miscellaneous person in Florida has identified Detroit's problems and offered solutions. We should starting rising any day now.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bandikoot.

Yeah, I'm just some anonymous person from Florida- well, I'm from Detroit as well, and still am.

I don't know about Detroit rising anytime soon, but as far as I can see, the only rising going on here is you- fueled by the hot air between your ears.

Lorax Guest

What is so amazing about this post is the number of apologists for the City of Detroit, and it's failure to do it's part in preserving buildings on the city's dead buildings list.

What they should be doing is quickly reselling them to get them off the rolls, and failing that, mothballing them when they are still in decent condition.

Enforcing laws on the books would be a start. Hauling building owners into court for allowing buildings that present a public safety hazard, and writing citations. How difficult is this? Every city in America does it, why is Detroit the only city whose downtown is allowed to fester like this?

Enough with the excuses.

No, it's apathy on the part of the city, and a desire to get theses buildings under their control, so cronyism can take over, first the stripping, then the demolition contract kickbacks to either the DEGC or other officials who only see these buildlings as having value as it relates to their eventual demolition.

This is why Detroit looks the way it does, and until the politics change, and the city inspectors are coerced into doing their jobs, as they do in every other city in America, nothing will change.

It's so easy for the rest of you to quote chapter and verse on "how things are", well, it's not woking so well, is it? Why not direct some of your energies into changing the reasons why the system is allowed to operate in this fashion rather than telling me "how things are". I know how things are, and I know how they got that way. And I have been constructive in mentioning how things can be improved.

I, too, have had experience in dealing with large scale renovation, and have never seen so many obstacles both real and imagined set up to encumber the process.

Most of all, the negativity and fatalism is truly breathtaking.

Finally, all of this is really irrelevant until the city presents itself as a place safe enough to do business. With the number of petty crimes a constant irritant to businesses and their employees, lack of mass transportation that works, basic services neglected- until this reality of Detroit changes, nothing more will.
    Last edited by Lorax; September-10-09 at 07:30 PM.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast