Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by detroitgirl View Post
    I'm sure in those cities, the police will come straight away if people are causing trouble. In Detroit, we just don't have the public safety support if a troublesome situation arises.

I sympathize with the objections only because Mudgies is located in a neighborhood. I love the place but I don't live next door. If a lot of people from the neighborhood--and over 50 strike me as a significant number--object to the liquor license, Mudgies should just drop this as far as I'm concerned.

As it was also pointed out, there is a playground across the street. As a parent [[and Corktown is very family friendly from what I can tell) I would certainly be very uncomfortable with that combo. Unfortunately, alcohol makes [[some) people very, very stupid.

An alternative, if they can swing it, is to open a second location on Michigan Avenue where, as far as I'm concerned they can serve all the alcohol they want.
    In your OP you asked for thoughts on the matter no offense it looks as though you are looking for support in opposition.

It seems as though that they are not per-say a club and all clubs are not the same,the places I mentioned do not really need a police presence because of the clientele,they are more of lets have a glass of wine and socialize and not so much as lets go get plastered falling down drunk.Most of the patrons live in the neighborhoods and invite friends to have a drink.The wives leave the hubby with the children and have a night out with the girls close by or visa versa, Within walking distance.

So I guess as a neighborhood it is a line between having a business that serves a purpose verses a vacant building.

Have they actually talked to Mudgies and maybe meet them 1/2 way?It does seem as though on the surface there was already an existing license so that may be an issue.

As a neighborhood you will be able to find fault in any business setting up shop,the trick is to get the neighborhood revenue support and find a happy medium.Seems as though if they are maintain the city park across the street that should count as something towards goodwill as I would assume that the residents also use the park?

Is the requirement to have a mix of food and alcohol say 70% food must be sold to 30% alcohol which in turn makes it a food venue that serves alcohol with the meal,and not a club per say.No mixed drinks and no live entertainment with band members over one.

How are they going to address your security concerns? Did you ask them?

If the neighborhood establishes acceptable guidelines that they would feel comfortable with and work with the business owners to reach some kind of happy medium it becomes a lot better as a neighborhood verses say for instance Mudgies saying fine we can move elsewhere even maybe downtown,then where will Corktown be?

Sorry WM ,posted at the same time.but same bases.
    Last edited by Richard; August-29-12 at 12:46 PM.