Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Don't these games determine which players stay on the practice squad v. which are released?
    P.S. Based on performance to date, IME Jamo would go to the practice squad but we won't his destination until after the suspension. I hope it doesn't happen, but he could be the Lions' next D'Andre Swift.
    There are a few things to unpack here. First, all players who don’t make the 53 man roster are “released.” The league sometimes calls them “cut” this time of year but it effectively is the same thing. Second, any player assigned to the practice squad must clear waivers. Third, if the Lions do release Jamo they eat the final 3 years of his 4 year deal, 7 Mill in dead cap this year. In other words, it is still expensive to throw in the towel on him considering he’s still on a rookie deal. Last, I think if the phone rang and someone wanted to give up a 4th rounder like they received for Swift at this point in Jamo’s career, I would assume that Brad Holmes would be listening. That would solve the dead cap problem and free up money to sign the next best available that could play immediately. Considering he has hardly played in the league, is injured and starting a 6 game suspension my guess is the chances of that phone ringing for Jamo are about zero.

Nothing personal Henry, but after reading you for a few years on Lions threads it seems you think the practice squad is some sort of assignment that the Lions can use to send poor performing players to as some sort of punishment for playing bad or those players in need of a attitude adjustment. That’s just not how NFL roster rules work at all.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; August-20-23 at 06:21 PM.