Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Good posts Danny, you did a lot of solid research and broke it down for folks to understand.
    Yeah... A lot of research, yet he never relayed a link to where he got his data.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah... A lot of research, yet he never relayed a link to where he got his data.
    I get my links from Professor Hyde, A Michigan historian at Wayne State University Department of Education, Jason Booza from WSU's Centers of Urban Studies M.I.M.I.C. Team, U.S. Census Bureau and SEMCOG.

My Question is Detroit's city population is truly 797,000 people? Did the U.S. Census got the figures right or the still over thousands of people still living in the city that have not been counted? Your thoughts please.

Retroit Guest

Move over, Sugrue.

Retroit Guest

Danny, do you know anything about the black community that has been living in Roseville just north of 10 Mile Road between Gratiot and Kelly? They have been there [[in their "boondocked" homes) for as long as anyone can remember [[1920's?), but no one seems to know why. [[I know they didn't trail the Jews.) I believe the Gratiot interurban used to turn around just south of Gratiot, so maybe this was a similar situation to Inkster?

Thank you for this thread, I found it very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Danny, do you know anything about the black community that has been living in Roseville just north of 10 Mile Road between Gratiot and Kelly? They have been there [[in their "boondocked" homes) for as long as anyone can remember [[1920's?), but no one seems to know why. [[I know they didn't trail the Jews.) I believe the Gratiot interurban used to turn around just south of Gratiot, so maybe this was a similar situation to Inkster?

Thank you for this thread, I found it very informative.
    It seems to me that Blacks had established a small community in Roseville historically south of Gratiot Ave. and 10 Mile Rd. in the 1920s due to property, farming and job opportunities. While they remained in that area more of their families and friends have move into that area. When suburban development increased, restrictive covenants were enforced to keep blacks out from buying the cookie cutter ranch homes where whites lived. In the meantime several black baptist churches where built in the area. Later in the early 1970s fewer co-opt condos and apartments were built on Frazho Rd. to supply the living arrangements from low-income blacks. [[ Today its called the 'Boondocks') Fewer homes were lost or torn down in the 1980s. Fewer blacks even lost their homes where their relatives used to lived leaving the fewer black neighborhoods in Roseville into to instant blighted urban praries. By the late 1990s in attempt to revitalized that area. Habitat for Humanity installed over 20 new homes and more income black families moved in. Today the small black community of Roseville is back to normal state. I went over there years ago to survey that residents in that area and its good to have a family based black community in Roseville, a little REAL 'Africantown' in the suburbs where whites back then tried to keep them out.

Danny, I appreciate your posts and find demographic information very interesting, but can you provide a link to the census data you are using as the basis of your numbers?

I took a look at the census site, and according to the chart you can find here, the population estimate for 2008 for Detroit was about 912,000, not roughly 797,000.