Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

8 Mile is also Vernier going east
    6 Mile is also Seymour
    And:
    "When Detroit was settled, Campus Martius was deemed the center of town because it was where all of these main roads came together. It was the location of the first train station, city hall, and was deemed the starting point for the state's mile road system. The distance between the north end of Campus Martius Park.
    CREDIT GOOGLE

Because Campus Martius is on an angle, and Woodward Avenue is too, the mile roads are counted directly north from the park, and the roads run east and west. That makes Michigan Avenue "zero mile," and of course 8 Mile Road is eight miles away."
    http://www.michiganradio.org/post/8-...ht-miles-where
    Last edited by jcole; September-23-18 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    6 Mile is also Seymour
    And:
    "When Detroit was settled, Campus Martius was deemed the center of town because it was where all of these main roads came together. It was the location of the first train station, city hall, and was deemed the starting point for the state's mile road system. The distance between the north end of Campus Martius Park.
    CREDIT GOOGLE

Because Campus Martius is on an angle, and Woodward Avenue is too, the mile roads are counted directly north from the park, and the roads run east and west. That makes Michigan Avenue "zero mile," and of course 8 Mile Road is eight miles away."
    http://www.michiganradio.org/post/8-...ht-miles-where
    8 mile is similar to 7 Mile, in that it splits off and terminates just east of Harper.

Like others, I agree this is debatable. Some consider Vernier another name for 8 Mile, some say it's a different road, on a different angle, and that 8 Mile has been eliminated in places but still exists in vestiges East of Vernier along its due East-West route. I fall into the latter category, but we can both be right.
    Last edited by bust; September-23-18 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Like others, I agree this is debatable. Some consider Vernier another name for 8 Mile, some say it's a different road, on a different angle, and that 8 Mile has been eliminated in places but still exists in vestiges East of Vernier along its due East-West route. I fall into the latter category, but we can both be right.
    That road, east of where most Eight Mile traffic swings onto Vernier, is locally called "Old Eight Mile".
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-23-18 at 05:47 PM.

That's funny, when I lived on the East Side half the people I knew interchanged Vernier with 8-Mile, and the other half insisted they were different roads.

I wish planners would keep the name for the same road. Really, when 8-Mile curves into Vernier, you have to get off of 8-Mile/Vernier to get to East/Old 8-Mile. This is just confusing, especially if you aren't from the area. Highways I can see an argument for, but surface roads should have one name wherever possible.

Growing up at 7 and Kelly and going to high school at 8 and Kelly, we always just called them 7 and 8 Mile respectively all the way to at least Mack. So did the Mack and 7 shopping center. But technically, you are probably correct.

Growing up at 7 and Kelly and going to high school at 8 and Kelly, we always just called them 7 and 8 Mile respectively all the way to at least Mack. So did the Mack and 7 shopping center.
    This is likely due to the contrast in the size & capacity of the thoroughfares. When 7 & 8 Mile split off into Moross & Vernier, respectively, the vast majority of traffic flow follows the latter. Since the former taper off into residential side-streets, they would rarely be used when giving directions or identifying a neighbourhood within the context of the entire metro area.

My experience with residents of the Pointes is that they refer to them almost exclusively as "Moross" and "Vernier" which is understandable, since both become increasingly low capacity, residential streets as they approach the lake. The Vernier near Eastland becomes unrecognizable just a few miles east at Jefferson.
    Last edited by Onthe405; September-24-18 at 02:53 PM.

I can't wait for the internet to come out so we can resolve some of these issues.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M-...!4d-83.1189215