Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I was right when I thought that there were no suspects yet in this case.Sad state of affairs when a case with as much press as this has had among others that no one is locked up, Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    That is one of the most insensitive posts I've read. You probably tell yourself that crime don't happen in your blissful little suburb, but you could at least show some decency toward the citizens of Detroit.

That's hilarious. When I look out the window of my home in my "peaceful little suburb" I see an empty building covered with Latin Counts graffiti. Now, I realize there are worse areas of the city than the neighborhood I live in -- but I wouldn't exactly call southwest Detroit peaceful, either.

Then again, the idiots who live behind me were only shooting their guns off until about midnight last night. So I guess that qualifies as peaceful. As Einstein said, it's all relative.

So, tell me: what's "insensitive" about my post? Warren Evans claims he's going to "do something about the shootings" by "using data to pinpoint where the next shootings will be." That's ridiculous on its face -- yet another false promise by a lifelong politician.

The people in OUR city don't need more empty slogans and grandiloquent speeches. I don't think it's being "insensitive" to point that out.

<P>Touche' Bloomfield.&nbsp; Nicely stated.</P>

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I think a large part of the problem is the mentality some people have about not snitching on the criminals. I find it hard to believe that the perps haven't bragged about their deeds to family and/ or friends, yet nobody has provided any info to the authorities.

Until folks weed out all the thugs in society, I don't see any hope for an end to this foolishness.
    Maybe they bragged about it to someone. Maybe they haven't. Regardless, it simply isn't true to say that nobody is providing any information the police.

No one in the neighborhood knows exactly who the shooters are, but - based on who they were dressed - we know which gang was involved. We know that they have a propensity for hiding cars in the garages of vacant homes. We know they're heavily involved in drug trafficking.

All of that information has been provided to the police.

The victims probably provided even more.

And there is the video footage of the shootings.

Police work involves a lot more than simply hoping that someone shows up with the name and home address of the person that you need to arrest. It involves lots of leg work.

Unfortunately, the City Council and previous mayors have decided to reduce drastically the number of police officers available to do that work; instead opting to spend our money on patently stupid things [[e.g., $19 million in City funds for the Harmonie Park/ Paradise Valley project, 5 different "economic development" agencies when none of them are getting the job done, etc.). Our current mayor was elected on a promise of change; change with a sense of urgency. Unfortunately, he hasn't proven himself to be any better.

How can Detroit Police deal with new gang cliques like The " Young Squads" and the Clown Squads?" How can Detroiters deal with those folks? If they have the power to take back their hoods and the gangbangers will be gone. Please don't cry for leaders. Take back your hood by starting your own neighborhood watch groups, clean up family problems, get to know your neighbors, create programs to keep kids and young adults off the streets.

These are simple messages that the local and nation media, celebrities, world leaders and even your preachers, rabbis and imams are trying to all you all. But some of us don't listen. Therefore the gangs, drugs, shootings and violence and fear will continue like the ghosts that haunt your houses.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHETS

This has been a public service message from Neda Soltani.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    How can Detroit Police deal with new gang cliques like The " Young Squads" and the Clown Squads?"
    Arrest them.
    How can Detroiters deal with those folks?
    It's a two step process.

1. Demand that the police arrest them.
    2. Replace the elected officials who oversee them if they don't.

Any questions?
    If they have the power to take back their hoods and the gangbangers will be gone. Please don't cry for leaders.
    I'm not crying for "leaders". I'm demanding that folks in CAY start earning their paychecks or start looking for new employment.
    Take back your hood by starting your own neighborhood watch groups, clean up family problems, get to know your neighbors, create programs to keep kids and young adults off the streets.
    I find it interesting that you believe that the police can't do anything about gang violence, but somehow unarmed, volunteer civilians can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    Warren Evans claims he's going to "do something about the shootings" by "using data to pinpoint where the next shootings will be."

USGS has a far better chance of predicting where and when the next Earthquake will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    That's hilarious. When I look out the window of my home in my "peaceful little suburb" I see an empty building covered with Latin Counts graffiti. Now, I realize there are worse areas of the city than the neighborhood I live in -- but I wouldn't exactly call southwest Detroit peaceful, either.
    My apologies, I figured by you name that you were from the burbs.

Fnemecek,

Even thethe Detroit Police arrest those gang cliques. There will be more filling up the void and their illegal businesses will continue. You can't demand the Detroit Police Dept. to arrest any perp unless the perp omissionally did the crime, even its from one or many witnesses. Plus the police must see the perp did the crime [[ as in caught in the act.)

Detroiters does need new leadership to replace those Coleman Young, Archer and Kilpatrick leftovers and fix law enforcement. But it's going to take a lot of community power and support to have new leaders.

Our city leaders can fix Detroit by themselves. That's is when Detroiters come in to clean up the urban mess some folk make. I would like to see all churches, mosques, synagogues, community social services and neighborhood block clubs to get together to fix up their hoods.

The City of Detroit takes action, not talk.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

For Neda Soltani's sake

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Fnemecek,

Even thethe Detroit Police arrest those gang cliques. There will be more filling up the void and their illegal businesses will continue. You can't demand the Detroit Police Dept. to arrest any perp unless the perp omissionally did the crime, even its from one or many witnesses. Plus the police must see the perp did the crime [[ as in caught in the act.)
    I'm not sure which part of this stupidity I should respond to first. Here they are then, in no particular order.

• The police don't need to see someone commit a crime in order to make an arrest. There is this thing commonly known as an "investigation". Every police agency on the planet does them, to one degree or another. It's time for DPD to do a lot more of them.
    • New criminals will pop up, no matter what. If we don't do something about the ones that we currently have, we will be overrun when the new ones show up.

Our city leaders can fix Detroit by themselves. That's is when Detroiters come in to clean up the urban mess some folk make. I would like to see all churches, mosques, synagogues, community social services and neighborhood block clubs to get together to fix up their hoods.
    I believe you meant to say that they can't fix Detroit by themselves.

As for the other entities that you mention, they can and do play a role. However, none of them are equipped to deal with a large group of gun-toting criminals. For that, one needs a police force.

And that is what's missing.

"The police don't need to see someone commit a crime in order to make an arrest. There is this thing commonly known as an "investigation". Every police agency on the planet does them, to one degree or another. It's time for DPD to do a lot more of them."

You would not know this from the response that you get when try to discuss a problem with the leadership of the SW District! They always say that they have to see something before they can go after someone that the neighbors can identify [[but usually like "He lives on Porter in that aprtment building and he rides araound in a red Honda, etc)! No investigations have ever been suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    I find it interesting that you believe that the police can't do anything about gang violence, but somehow unarmed, volunteer civilians can.
    I find it interesting that you are carrying on a debate with Danny of all people.

Those kids were murdered by kids wearing bandana's obscuring they faces. They come running 'cross the gas station island with guns a blazing. That's the fact, right? The motive is automatically assumed to be gang-related and the victims automatically declared hapless victims. Of course, there are several witnesses and several people directly "in-the-know" as to the question of why this happened. The police man is not your friend. The police man job, and secondary motive, is to arrest people, first motive is to survive ghetto. No resident will talk to police man because they know that what they say can - and will - be held against them in the court of laws. The police man is not your friend. Beyond showing valid identification to the police man, unless you have an attorney present, only wise thing to say is "am I free to go now?" Hearsay is rarely admitted as evidence in court of laws. Sad, but true, this is the predominat thinking in Detroit

WTF? By the way, no one was murdered in that incident.

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Those kids were murdered by kids wearing bandana's obscuring they faces. They come running 'cross the gas station island with guns a blazing. That's the fact, right? The motive is automatically assumed to be gang-related and the victims automatically declared hapless victims. Of course, there are several witnesses and several people directly "in-the-know" as to the question of why this happened. The police man is not your friend. The police man job, and secondary motive, is to arrest people, first motive is to survive ghetto. No resident will talk to police man because they know that what they say can - and will - be held against them in the court of laws. The police man is not your friend. Beyond showing valid identification to the police man, unless you have an attorney present, only wise thing to say is "am I free to go now?" Hearsay is rarely admitted as evidence in court of laws. Sad, but true, this is the predominat thinking in Detroit

Warrendale is now part of Detroit's gangland problem. Once a beautiful mostly Polish and Italian community has now reduced to low-income mess loaded with DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS, po'folks and spookies.

Arrest them.

It's a two step process.

1. Demand that the police arrest them.
    2. Replace the elected officials who oversee them if they don't.
    Any questions?

I'm not crying for "leaders". I'm demanding that folks in CAY start earning their paychecks or start looking for new employment.

No offense, but doesn't that solution seem just a tid-bit unreachable? That's like saying to a staunch republican that if he doesn't like the way that Obama is running the country he needs to vote him out and elect someone who will run the country the way he sees fit. Yeah, no problem...... getting on that as we speak.

C'mon man.....rallies need to be held. The message is clear, but no one wants to carry the banner. Until Metro Detroiters learn to unite, there is no solution.

And the fact that these terrible attrocities can be carried out in daylight, especially with multiple witnesses, without any arrests is pretty much rock bottom for a city if you ask me. This is not the movies people. The bad guys are supposed to be caught 95% of the time. Especially under those circumstances.

Murder was the goal. Unless they [[the perpetrators) were only thinking about shooting a BB gun at a bunny rabbit. The so-called "facts" are pretty irrelevant, as I do not have the time, resources, or time, to meddle into things that aint my beeswax.

I say:

Kids with guns, rampaging across a heavily trafficketed area in Detroit.... and no results - NONE - regards an arrest.

But go to Connecticut... yuk yuk yuk.

TRAGEDY IN THE FACES OF THE RIGHTFUL AND UPSTANDING CITIZENS OF DETROIT!

and it happens every day.

This case is currently being profiled on a show called "Detroit Gang Squad" on the National Geographic Channel.

Has anyone been charged yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post

Not that I am aware of, I can tell you the Cody 9th Grade Building in the old Ruddiman never re-opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    This case is currently being profiled on a show called "Detroit Gang Squad" on the National Geographic Channel.
    I saw that episode a few days ago on Nat Geo myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Indeed. I covered that episode in a blog post a few days ago [[complete with the schedule of the two upcoming airings for anyone who is interested).

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...-squad-tv.html

To follow up on a few other points, no one has been charged in connection with the shootings.

The Cody 9th Grade Academy is officially closed. The building is currently for sale, if anyone is interested.

I have to say though, it's really surreal to watch that episode just 3 blocks from where the shooting happened.

The anniversary of this shooting will soon be upon us. I feel like we should do something to mark the occasion, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

It's good to see that this has been brought back into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    To follow up on a few other points, no one has been charged in connection with the shootings.
    They mentioned a prime suspect and were searching for him, but I don't remember what the outcome was.

I'm sure that the kids who got shot probably know who is to blame. If I had been at the gas station that day I would have been on the ground playing dead, so I wouldnt have seen anything either...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast