Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I went to what I believe was the first R&R show at Pine Knob - The James Gang on July 10, 1972. Traffic was backed up for miles. Management freaked out and closed the parking lot, so cars were parked everywhere, including the truck weigh stations on both sides of I-75. Attendees went in over the fences. Everyone thought it was Woodstock. In any event, a great show. Next show I attended, security was much more organized.

For some reason I thought it was a bigger name than The James Gang, but I'm pretty sure that was the show my boyfriend really wanted to go but he had just gotten his license and parents said no. It was a good thing too because there was a 2 or 3 hour traffic jam just to get in to the parking lot. It made the news that night.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I went to what I believe was the first R&R show at Pine Knob - The James Gang on July 10, 1972. Traffic was backed up for miles. Management freaked out and closed the parking lot, so cars were parked everywhere, including the truck weigh stations on both sides of I-75. Attendees went in over the fences. Everyone thought it was Woodstock. In any event, a great show. Next show I attended, security was much more organized.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    For some reason I thought it was a bigger name than The James Gang,....
    Pine Knob name returns: Vintage photos of venue formerly known as DTE Energy Music Theatre

Since its opening in 1972 — with an otherwise uneventful David Cassidy show — Pine Knob has hosted more than 3,100 nights of music, as estimated by venue operator 313 Presents.

Always called it Pine Knob. Meadowbrook had a 7 year jump start on Pine Knob. You can see in the earlier years they booked some rock acts and acts that likely would've played Pine Knob. But once Pine Knob opened MB focused more on pop/jazz/folk/classical. Pine Knob caught the bigger venue for rock explosion....and were great bookers and marketeers.
    https://theconcertdatabase.com/venues/meadow-brook

^ Yes! Meadow Brook! Saw Natalie Cole there - with a full orchestra. They used to have some grand fusion jazz events including Chick Corea, Roy Ayers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Yes! Meadow Brook! Saw Natalie Cole there - with a full orchestra.

Sounds unforgettable.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-15-22 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    It was the first rock concert there and because of the fiasco, they cancelled all remaining "hard rock" concerts for the rest of the season