Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Detroit Shoppe

Hybrid View

So I have to walk from Broadway/Randolph to the RenCen then to Eastern Market, then high-tail over to Midtown. Yup, that sounds like a real treat for shoppers!

While I pray for the day the mall is dead and we all can take the bus or tram or walk into downtown to do our shopping here in Detroit, those days are gone and not back [[yet) and for now, the mall is shopping king. Independent stores can definitely survive with the larger, corporate stores side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Independent stores can definitely survive with the larger, corporate stores side by side.
    That's why, for Christmas shopping, I power-shop in Ann Arbor. 16 hands, 1000 villages, vault of midnight, west side books, downtown garden, art co-op, bivouac - I can usually find something for everyone within a couple of hours, all walkable.

DetroitPole Guest

Absolutely brilliant. Did you ever think that if you shopped in the city instead of at Somerset or elsewhere in the suburbs that retail options in the city would grow and expand? It's supply and demand. If there is a demand for retail in the city, it will be supplied.

Instead you wait for that magical day when you wake up and the city will be all you want it to be, complete with a Cheesecake Factory, House of Blues, and for the love of G-d I wish I understood the obsession with tourists buying underpants downtown here. In the meantime you'll gleefully spend your dollars at malls in the 'burbs. You want things to change? Money talks, b_llshit walks. You can do plenty of shopping in the city, you just have to be resourceful.

Your "praying" for the end of malls and for healthy Detroit retail doesn't do sh*t. Put your money where your mouth is. Yes, it requires more effort, in the meantime. I'm no optimist or idealist as all my posts indicate, but I'm not some lazy SOB who is just going to wish things were better without trying to affect some change myself.

You want to see better retail downtown? Support what we already have. If you really think it's a "joke" - I think it is pretty respectable - then in all seriousness then maybe Detroit isn't for you.

Seriously: I have been all over the world and never bought underpants outside of my native country. I don't know what kind of digestive issues you personally have going on but give the tourists underpants market a rest already.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; October-26-11 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    So I have to walk from Broadway/Randolph to the RenCen then to Eastern Market, then high-tail over to Midtown. Yup, that sounds like a real treat for shoppers!

While I pray for the day the mall is dead and we all can take the bus or tram or walk into downtown to do our shopping here in Detroit, those days are gone and not back [[yet) and for now, the mall is shopping king. Independent stores can definitely survive with the larger, corporate stores side by side.
    Yep, it's what we do in the big city...walk. Just trade your Manolo Blahniks in for a good pair of Rockports [[available at City Slicker Shoes) and enjoy the urban experience. I suppose when you go to New York, you expect to find Macy's and Bloomingdales side-by-side?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Yep, it's what we do in the big city...walk. Just trade your Manolo Blahniks in for a good pair of Rockports [[available at City Slicker Shoes) and enjoy the urban experience. I suppose when you go to New York, you expect to find Macy's and Bloomingdales side-by-side?
    Finding a Macy's and Bloomingdales side-by-side would be rare considering they are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    lol I love to walk! But people in Chicago and NYC don't even walk that far! They take a cab or train, but wait this is Detroit...