Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Given the weather, the bike tour has been cancelled.

When biking south on Woodward, I thought I saw a sign for a haunted candy factory at the site of the old Syndey Bogg store/factory.

Sludgedaddy Guest

The Two-Way Inn on Mt. Elliot and Nevada is said to be frequented by the spirit of Philetus Norris, one of the founders of America's National Park system. Saw the proprietor of the Inn sweeping the sidewalk outside the Inn a few weeks ago and inquired about Mr. Norris. I was told he still makes regular appearances.

The Philetus Norris house still stands on Mt. Elliot, albeit in ruins, built in the 1870's. Mr. Norris was a land owner in the area around this time and his name can be found on old plats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    The Philetus Norris house still stands on Mt. Elliot, albeit in ruins, built in the 1870's. Mr. Norris was a land owner in the area around this time and his name can be found on old plats.
    Do you know the address by chance? I used to have it in a book years ago, but lost it and always wondered where it was, since I'm a local history buff.

Wikipedia and other sites note....

the Philetus Norris house is located at 17815 Mt. Elliott Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, near the corner of Mound Road and Davison Avenue. It was built in 1873....

Sludgedaddy Guest

Kathleen, not to confuse the inquiring history buff, The Two Way Inn is on the corner of Mt. Elliot and Nevada and the Norris House is easily visible just south of this location.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Scott View Post
    Given the weather, the bike tour has been cancelled.

When biking south on Woodward, I thought I saw a sign for a haunted candy factory at the site of the old Syndey Bogg store/factory.
    I saw that today when I drove by...the whole Sydney Boggs building appears to have been painted for Halloween [[am hoping that is temporary) and they are indeed advertising as "Haunted Candy Factory".

Thanks, Sludgedaddy, for the clarification.

The Eagle newspaper out here in Wayne had a story with a few cemetaries running haunted tours they sound interesting. Have never been to the "scariest place" in Michigan, Which is the Butler/Ganong Cemetary. The drive past it in the day time and with it being that close to my house is creepy enough.

The Ghost Hunters of Southern Michigan have a number of programs this month at local libraries and other sites:
    http://www.ghosm.com/calendar2009.html