Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Eventually I hope that all of these modes/agencies will be under one RTA so one will not need to be worry about who owns who, and that they are all coordinated at a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Eventually I hope that all of these modes/agencies will be under one RTA so one will not need to be worry about who owns who, and that they are all coordinated at a higher level.

Seconded. That way it can be one big epic fail instead of a bunch of little ones.

I've been a huge proponent of simply expanding the People Mover up Woodward since the beginning. I've never understood why we ignore an already built ROW that does an excellent job serving downtown.

The People Mover does run on a non-compatible automated technology but that could easily be scrapped. The rail gauge is standard and could accommodate the same rolling stock as planned with the M1 line. Simply run the rails at grade up Woodward and have them join up with the People Mover rails somewhere around Grand Circus.

The expense, both upfront and operationally, is still an issue. However, merging the two projects should decrease both costs. No new stations or rail laid downtown and the People Mover's budget is absorbed into the M1 budget. I would eliminate stops on both lines, again saving money.

I strongly believe such a line will only be truly successful for transit and economic development when it can run further north into Oakland County serving the population bases and downtowns like Ferndale, Royal Oak, etc. However, this would be an excellent step in the right direction that takes advantage of already dedicated private money.