Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

More people in Warren can afford a new GM car than people in Detroit

what the fucking hell?

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post
    More people in Warren can afford a new GM car than people in Detroit
    Seriously doubt that.

How come I am getting the feeling that regionalism only works one way !

GM should have been at the tech center all along. When they made that move from the Blvd, they should have gone straight to the tech center but their leaders have had there heads in the sand thinking they were going to get back to the market share they got 20 years ago.

Like many Detroiters I've always been loyal to American vehicles even though we no longer live there. My last GM car was a disaster that ended up coming close to bankrupting us keeping up with the repairs. It will be the last time I try to keep buying American when it comes to a car if GM tosses Detroit under the bus.

How come I am getting the feeling that regionalism only works one way !
    This. Stop bitching about GM leaving Detroit. Would you rather see them leave for nearby Warren or go down the toilet altogether?

The answer of course is that regionalism does only go one way. We have a population in the city of Detroit that were given wonderful assets and instead of doing things to attract business and build upon these assets has begged for [[excuse me, demanded) money from everyone outside of the city so that they could line their pockets and allow these "jewels" to rot.

Time to buckle down and get business done were it can get done.

Angry Dad Guest

If GM leaves the Ren Cen what do they leave?

Well the building is fixed now, as fixed as it could be.

Since they have huge amounts of paid for office space in Warren, why would they stay in the Ren Cen?

And now the Ren Cen is somewhat attractive.

This is actually a good move by GM and a good thing for the city.

GM employees paying an income tax to Detroit versus GM employees NOT paying an income tax to Warren.... how does that help GM out of its' current mess?

It doesn't...

So I won't be losing any sleep over that issue.

I don't think that the feds are going to force GM to move either... our US senators will fight that one...

Since GM already paid $1/2 billion to fix up the RenCen for their needs, how would the added expense of a move to the Tech Center be viewed as improving their bottom line?

They would have to spend many millions more in order to move to the Tech Center.

Warren mayor Fouts [[someone who I always likened to a "Monica Conyers of Warren" when he used to be on their city council) can only offer local tax breaks.

THERE'S NO WAY that the state will offer any tax breaks for them to move.

And Warren, whos seedy south side requires all the help it can get, isn't exactly awash in cash...