sign a compentant DB is 3rd

and pray Stafford stays healthy

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    We need linebackers as a #1 priority, at least 2 good ones
    re-sign Houston is a 2nd priorty
    sign a compentant DB is 3rd

and pray Stafford stays healthy
    Damn, it's good to talk football again.

I would have to agree on all these points with the exception of flip flopping the Houston signing as priority one. He's already been in the system. He knows the schemes, the routine and what his role is here. If he bolts then we have to sign TWO corners- so let's take care of our own first.

Linebackers I think we can land at least one good free agent. Palmer and Carpenter played well and could be up & comers. Anyone know what happened to Follett or Campbell? And what happened to Landon Johnson? He was crazy reckless back there until he got hurt late in the season. Is he even in the mix at all?

Stafford? It's just bad luck that he's been dinged up. It wasn't like the offense line sucked that bad last year either. One lousy incident, Stafford goes down and the Backus haters are out en masse. He's put on some muscle & bulk but that still might not protect him from unlucky spills. Let's pray for some luck for that boy.

So far the Lions management has done what’s expected of them in wrapping up their draft picks. They’ve inked Fairley to a four year deal for $10 million and a club fifth year option. Not bad considering what this team has gotten used to signing with their super high picks in Suh & Stafford. It was also really refreshing to see Johnny Culbreath sign early [[why not get it done with, learn as much as possible and get ready to go on the practice squad?) and the likes of Doug Hogue, Mikel LeShoure and Titus Young signing their four year deals today. No extended silly rookie dramas in this lockout shortened training camp will be good for them as well as the team. The lockout already hampered them enough so getting them into the fold as fast as possible will only benefit them.

Signing LB Justin Durant will be an interesting signing. His injury history doesn’t exactly bode well but if he’s healthy could be a great addition, especially if the Lions pick up another stud linebacker. And from all of the rumors swirling about Stephen Tulloch is being courted pretty heavily. DB Maurice Leggett is also another risky signing but I can see him being an extra warm body for now; possible insurance. He’s another one who just might want to prove something after coming back from injury. Supposedly another one of the Millen Era’s early picks [[2nd round!) in Jordan Dizon has also been released.

The signing of Rashied Davies might also spell the end of what could be considered Martin Mayhew’s only high draft bust in Derrick Williams. Dropping Bryant Johnson’s enormous unproductive contract was relatively easy but having to admit that Williams is a bust will sting a bit for Mayhew & Lewand. I think for those of us who watched Williams play at Penn State thought he was pretty good. Why he couldn’t transition it to the pro level has been a mystery- but then the same could’ve been said for so many other players as well [[anyone remember Joey Harrington & his great collegiate performances?). I can’t imagine Williams really making the roster as the sixth wideout on this team.

And today, Friday night is when we’ll find out who officially signed where. Detroit still has some glaring needs and some of their more desirable targets are still floating around out there. I sure hope Mayhew & Lewand have left their cell phones attached to their respective chargers because I can only imagine how many phone calls they’re going to have to deal with today. With training camp mere days away, it’s interesting to see what will finally round out their roster.