Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Perhaps because "Detroit" as a branding strategy is only starting to have some level of cache as opposed to be associated with decline and ruin. I, for one, welcome that change.
    I think this is the point... its a "branding strategy" and has nothing at all to do with "american manufacturing". The whole spiel is that it costs more to make stuff here, but when we make it we make quality stuff and quality costs money. Fine. I'll buy that. But they aren't "making" it here. A Texas company has set up an assembly center here for parts sourced internationally. they're assembling it here. Is "made in detroit" a semantics game in the era of globalism? maybe. I guess what I'm looking for with this whole "made in detroit" stuff is that Detroit is somehow significant for the products' creation or inception.

If they thought "made in Chicago" would allow them to assemble and sell watches for more...they'd be there talking about how manufacturing isn't dead in chicago....look we're "making watches here"...blah blah.

You're buying a fossil watch at 7x the cost of just buying a fossil.

none of this should be construed as a hope they fail... they are a net benefit to the employment situation. Just not sure how long they'll last.
    Last edited by bailey; March-31-14 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I think this is the point... its a "branding strategy" and has nothing at all to do with "american manufacturing". The whole spiel is that it costs more to make stuff here, but when we make it we make quality stuff and quality costs money. Fine. I'll buy that. But they aren't "making" it here. A Texas company has set up an assembly center here for parts sourced internationally. they're assembling it here. Is "made in detroit" a semantics game in the era of globalism? maybe. I guess what I'm looking for with this whole "made in detroit" stuff is that Detroit is somehow significant for the products' creation or inception.

If they thought "made in Chicago" would allow them to assemble and sell watches for more...they'd be there talking about how manufacturing isn't dead in chicago....look we're "making watches here"...blah blah.

You're buying a fossil watch at 7x the cost of just buying a fossil.

none of this should be construed as a hope they fail... they are a net benefit to the employment situation. Just not sure how long they'll last.
    Exactly to the point. Until the next big thing comes along.