Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
You can change stupid laws when they stand in the way - ask Conyers.
Except for not paying Banks/Creditors/Investors/Bond holders what they owe them and extracting contributions/settlements [[for what?) out of State/Suburbs/DIA/Philanthropists, what is the DETROIT TAXPAYER'S CONTRIBUTION to its own Bankruptcy?
Bankruptcy isn't so bad if you don't have to liquidate any of your assets, don't have to pay your bills and somebody steps in and gives you the money to carry on as you were with promises of better to come. I might even do it a second time.
What is the Detroit taxpayers contribution to our bankruptcy?

Our contribution to the bankruptcy is the fact that we pay the highest property taxes, the highest income taxes, spend the most money on retiree/legacy costs, and receive the shittiest services and return on our tax dollars than anybody else in the state.
-------------------------
Let's take at look at the facts here:

In 1960, the city of Detroit had 1,670,144 residents, 26,386 active employees, and 10,629 pensioners.

In 2012, the city of Detroit had 701,475 residents, 10,529 active employees, and 21,113 retirees.
-------------------------

Between 1960 and 2012, the city of Detroit lost 58% of its population, cut its active workforce by 60%, and the number of city retirees increased by 199%.
--------------------------

Given these facts, I don't see how Detroit taxpayers are failing to 'pay our bills', and are just 'extracting contributions and settlements from the state/suburbs/DIA.'

Accusing Detroit taxpayers of shirking our responsibilities and failing to pay are bills is not only offensive, it is flat out incorrect. The 40% of us who are still here in the city pay for way more than we receive, and in fact, we pay almost as much for the debt that was left to us by former Detroiters than we do on our current expenses.

I don't know why former Detroiters should be completely absolved of their responsibility to pay for the debts and legacy costs that they incurred in exchange for the services rendered while they lived in the city.

Metro Detroit is like a dinner party where 20 people ate and drank all night, then 12 people got up and walked out, stuck the last 8 people at the table with the bill, and then the dine-and-dashers were outraged when they were asked to kick in a few bucks the next day.