Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
As far as Yacht Clubs go, it is quite accessible. Membership is quite affordable and by no means limited to blue bloods. While there is the share of those, everyone is quite nice and laid back and there is a good mix of city and suburban residents. Membership is also much cheaper for the under 30's and there are a lot of young Detroit professionals who are members.
Over half of the membership doesn't own a boat, either.

I am a proud member of this venerable institution and encourage others to consider membership to help build another 144 years of history there!
By location the club is the least accessible private club in southeast MI. One has to go to Belle Isle not an easy task getting the majority of the metro area to do. Then drive all the way to the end of the island. Who wants to to that on an evening during the summer especially on a weekend. I have chatted with members, mostly sailboats owners who race and have all sorts of problems attracting crew and every member mentions the ferry but then they also go on to say what a hassle it is. Over time almost every competitive sailboat has moved to other clubs with better access. On top of that I am suprised with the constant turn over of the membership that somehow the club seems to hold on. Although if the club did not have its present location it would be quite a nice place to be a member.