Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I lived on Newport, about 16 houses from the Vanity, from 1951-1969. It was never open during those years, and was always a big mystery as to what the interior looked like. My borther was an usher there in the 1950's and always talked about the "floating" dance floor.

I drove down Newport the other day, and noticed the street had been re-paved and the curbs replaced. Anyone know if there are any plans for building new homes on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by 1128Newport View Post
    My borther was an usher there in the 1950's and always talked about the "floating" dance floor
    Yeah, these days your foot will float right through that dance floor !

I think it was tagged with the retardo-graf somewhat recently. In the last 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Yeah, these days your foot will float right through that dance floor !

I think it was tagged with the retardo-graf somewhat recently. In the last 6 weeks.
    Gee, I thought those were Banksy [[s) on the stairway walls??? I'm surprised no one has ripped out the walls and tried to sell the graffiti on eBay. Great opportunity missed!

Does Burgess still own the building? He was asking something like $3 million for it a few years ago.

hi i lived on newport 1347 closer to kercheval until 1955 then moved to st. clair shores
    went to st ambrose graduated in 1957 i used to go up to the vanity in the summer and climb the fire escape and sit there and watch them dance
    use to go to dorseys drug store on the corner and the library around the corner

do you have a email like to shoot the shit with you about the old neighborhood

thanks