Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
Don't forget to give the US credit. Canada has a big fumbling giant next door to show them how things are done wrong.
While there are many things we do differently in Canada that I am pleased about.........I think its very important to say, the U.S. is not always the laggard in social advancement, either historically or in contemporary times.

Its especially important for Americans who feel change can't happen.

Because it does and it is.

I'll give 2 contemporary examples.

Paid sick days [[by law) are an American innovation. U.S. states started adopting such laws a few years ago, and I believe you're up to about 9 states now w/such laws.

California, Maryland, Washington, Rhode Island, Oregon, Vermont, Mass., Arizona, and Conn.

As a result of this, Ontario actually copied many of your states in mandating 2 paid sick days starting this year [[we already mandated a total of 10 unpaid, but job-protected days).

Also, on Family Leave, while the number of weeks remains much more generous up here, both California and Washington have adopted 12-week paid leaves which provide up to 70 and 90% respectively in reimbursed earnings, and New York State's new program will provide for 65%, all more generous than what we do up here.

Note that a bill to provide for paid sick days is anticipated on the Michigan Ballot this fall; as is one to raise the minimum wage. Progress is possible if people get out and vote for it.