Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    that is for local gas stations are havens for criminals. Those cities that you had mentioned for Peetes are not downtown Detroit
    Yes, I know. I was just posting to confirm what you had already been told.

A city takes all kinds. I don't have a problem with 7-11 coming to town. In fact, I welcome it. But I won't go out of my way to be a customer. My point is -- against some common impresssions -- downtown has choices when it comes to making purchases.

You constantly rag on Jazz Convenience, and I don't understand why. They occupy a formerly empty storefront on Woodward, presumably pay taxes, are locally-owned, and are within a block or two of many residents. They are small, and mostly beer, wine and liquor oriented, but if you're in a pinch you can also buy a can of cat food or soup, or a box of cookies. [[I have purchased all of the above there personally.) If they aren't your cup of tea, go somewhere else, but don't begrudge them for filling a need in downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Yes, I know. I was just posting to confirm what you had already been told.

A city takes all kinds. I don't have a problem with 7-11 coming to town. In fact, I welcome it. But I won't go out of my way to be a customer. My point is -- against some common impresssions -- downtown has choices when it comes to making purchases.

You constantly rag on Jazz Convenience, and I don't understand why. They occupy a formerly empty storefront on Woodward, presumably pay taxes, are locally-owned, and are within a block or two of many residents. They are small, and mostly beer, wine and liquor oriented, but if you're in a pinch you can also buy a can of cat food or soup, or a box of cookies. [[I have purchased all of the above there personally.) If they aren't your cup of tea, go somewhere else, but don't begrudge them for filling a need in downtown.
    I don't have a problem with the convenience store itself but the location that it is at and who hang around it. Stand in front of the store on a hot Saturday night for an hour and you would see what I am talking about. Liquor stores have the wrong element hanging outside of it especially when police don't patrol the area much after 6pm unless it is an event going on downtown. You have an awful liquor store on Broadway which is a haven for crime. Do you find a liquor store on Maple street in Birmingham, Main St in Royal Oak. Kercheval St in Grosse Pointe? No, Many retail don't want to open next to or around a convenience store. I hope that Duggan will continue to build up downtown and make it more retail/business friendly

I don't have a problem with the convenience store itself but the location that it is at and who hang around it. Stand in front of the store on a hot Saturday night for an hour and you would see what I am talking about.
    Perhaps the bus stop in front has something to do with that?

I enjoy playing Sim City as much as anybody, stasu, but cities grow organically. Would I rather see a City Target in their location? Sure. But would I rather have the empty storefront that was their before? No.

They don't have an eternal lease. When the market grows to the point that the space can get higher rents, Jazz will be gone.

There used to a Downtown Starbucks on the corner of Griswold and Congress inside the Buhl Building. It was closed in 2009. Now another hipster cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Perhaps the bus stop in front has something to do with that?

I enjoy playing Sim City as much as anybody, stasu, but cities grow organically. Would I rather see a City Target in their location? Sure. But would I rather have the empty storefront that was their before? No.

They don't have an eternal lease. When the market grows to the point that the space can get higher rents, Jazz will be gone.
    No one wants an empty storefront. I am sure that Gilbert would had purchased that storefront and had something else in it. Not many businesses would open around a liquor store as I had stated earlier. It attracts too many unwanted characters. Grosse Pointe don't allow loitering outside the liquor stores on Mack. Detroit is short of man power when it comes to police especially after dark in the downtown area on an uneventful night

No one wants an empty storefront. I am sure that Gilbert would had purchased that storefront and had something else in it. Not many businesses would open around a liquor store as I had stated earlier. It attracts too many unwanted characters. Grosse Pointe don't allow loitering outside the liquor stores on Mack. Detroit is short of man power when it comes to police especially after dark in the downtown area on an uneventful night
    I'm sure when Gilbert wants to fill the storefronts around it, you'll see plenty of his blue security chasing people away.