Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Yea, I wonder if the curb is exactly what the blind would be worried about hitting in an area with demolished homes and no sidewalks.

Actually, does anyone in Detroit even use sidewalks?! Anytime I ever see people actually use them is on the main roads.

My concern is the wheel and motorized folks I see riding along in the street. I don't get it but it's not uncommon to see folks going down Woodward along with the buses [[what few buses still out there) and cars. Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Yea, I wonder if the curb is exactly what the blind would be worried about hitting in an area with demolished homes and no sidewalks.

Actually, does anyone in Detroit even use sidewalks?! Anytime I ever see people actually use them is on the main roads.

Had a rightsizing plan been established, the unused streets could have been taken out of service.

The curbs at the corners of the unused streets could have been removed.

Streets without curbs and sidewalks at corners are exempt from the ADA rules because there is no place for truncated dome installation.

Yes, removing the curb would also cause the street to flood and facilitate further decay to the road surface.....which is kind of the point when the street is no longer in service.

Instead of money being used for demolishing a single corner. They had to be updated and brought up to code [[costing money). They may possibly receive some maintenance [[costing money). And will eventually be removed someday anyway [[costing money).

Ah, and what a shame. The corner looks nicely done. Extra control joints for a long lasting sidewalk. Shame the tens of thousands of heaved up sidewalks midblock across the city will provide a much bigger hazard to folks with disabilities. You think ADA regulations will help with that or is this all done so in the end they can say our sidewalks are all up to code?
    Last edited by wolverine; October-19-11 at 02:13 AM.