Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

As has been stated above, I don't think Detroit was ever really a big player in Rock music, but the notoriety of Motown and the KISS song gave us the reputation. Notice that just about every big name act out of Detroit eventually left for somewhere else [[even Motown), which unfortunately is an indication of Detroit's irrelevance in the music industry. We have a great legacy of great artists and innovators and there are still some great bands playing in and around the city, but I think the title of "Rock City" is and always has been a bit misleading.

This topic is important, and for those who just did not happen to be alive... way back... now becoming way, WAY back for me... [[I was born in the D in 1966)...

Ahem.

Nobody of us ever really thought of Detroit being the "Rock City", despite all of the exploitation efforts from such record labels like Casablanca. Bill Aucoin. Peter Grant, Punch and Judy, Brass Ring Productions, et. al.

I am a fan of "pop" music, and Detroit certainly is more famous for gravitating towards "POP".

Rock is dead anyway. Detroit is STILL a Mecca for the cross pollination of any, and all, musical interests. An example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-eBkAuGZBU&t=74s

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    Search engines make multiple references to Zep at Cobo 7/12/73.
    Why do that when I can ask you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2