Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
Thanks @Detroitplanner

Yes, indeed will provide a view to Milliken Park, Marina and Lighthouse, which many don't see while visiting Rivard Plaza. With the Globe Building being renovated, this leveling of the Hill, will hopefully connect the Dequindre cut.
Finally! As much fun as it was to run, walk, or ride a bike up and down the hill, it made no sense to have a hill block the view of the waterfront. I'd actually like to see Orleans Street continue south of Atwater and curve to the west to meet a second road, call it "Edgewater," that would go through the current parking lot at Rivard Plaza, be about four lanes wide, and hug the current side walk that is at the edge of the parking lot next to the plaza. The street would end at Rivard Street. Parking would go where the current Border Patrol headquarters is located.

Why an additional road south of Atwater? Well, if you look at the stretch of Atwater that spans from Rivard to Milliken Park you will still see a large distance between Atwater and the river. The park and marina distances make sense. However, west of Orleans all you have is vacant land. The hill was part of this vacant land. There is enough room for a new road and some residential and commercial developments, mainly restaurants, that could go between Atwater and the new street that I'm calling Edgewater. Also, this new street would create more pedestrian activity closer to the Detroit River [[car traffic, bike traffic, walkers and runners). Well, I think it would be cool.