Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by kahnman View Post
    What were you expecting, a head shot? Police are trained to disarm threats exactly the way this officer did.

This is 100 percent wrong. Police are trained to shoot to kill. Ask any cop; they're supposed to aim for the center of the chest. They're never taught to shoot to wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    This is 100 percent wrong. Police are trained to shoot to kill. Ask any cop; they're supposed to aim for the center of the chest. They're never taught to shoot to wound.
    That little thug got off easy with a shoulder shot. I'm sure the police officer was thinking about taking him down permanently. That perp had a shotgun aimed at the officer. Any sane rational person, much less a trained police officer isn't going to be thinking about winging or wounding the guy at that point. It very well was going to be the criminal or the cop. Fortunately we can talk about how the cops came out ahead on this one as opposed to losing one of Detroit's Finest to some street thug.

Exactly. If the teen would have gotten off a shot [[even with a less than accurate aim) with that shotgun the officer would have been killed... as shotgun ammo spreads [[bird shot or XX) and a close up shot is usually lethal - even bird shot sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    That little thug got off easy with a shoulder shot. I'm sure the police officer was thinking about taking him down permanently. That perp had a shotgun aimed at the officer. Any sane rational person, much less a trained police officer isn't going to be thinking about winging or wounding the guy at that point. It very well was going to be the criminal or the cop. Fortunately we can talk about how the cops came out ahead on this one as opposed to losing one of Detroit's Finest to some street thug.

Zacha,

20 years ago, there was a third set of professional eyes on the neighborhood, too.

Before Wayne State really got their act together with their security...I think before they were deputized as adjunct police or sheriff or whatever legal 'bump' in prestige they got...there was a private security firm patrolling, at least on the Wayne side of the Lodge.

As for crime in Woodbridge, I've one friend who lost her phone and money to some asshole who decided to beat her up, too...and just last night another had a computer stolen off her porch when she turned her back for a minute.

It is getting bad all over...I knew a few folks at that party where the two dudes walked up and emptied everyone's pockets. This gang will keep it up until there is some resistance, hipsters are easy pickings.

No cheers on this one...

Well stated. As you state the naive-type 'hipsters' are easy prey. No joke! I observe them making poor 'security' choices often when I am out and about on WSU/ CCS campus and I lived in Woodbridge but I was a born/ raised near there and was bluntly wise to the scams.

When perps 'choose' [[and they do CHOOSE) their victim[[s) they do so based on predicted response. Example: They're less likely to approach people they feel will give them the "HELL NO! - Get the f*cK away from me!!" attitude they themselves present.

I am/ have been approached sometimes and I can 'grim up' fast [[not cursing people out but letting them know from my eye contact and my countenance that I'm not be an easy-mark) thwarting the 'basic scam' or 'pan-handling' gone wrong.

Being robbed is not something I've ever encountered fortunately. But as a rule when I am on out and about on my feet I don't give out time, or much else... these can be classic distraction maneuvers....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Zacha,

20 years ago, there was a third set of professional eyes on the neighborhood, too.

Before Wayne State really got their act together with their security...I think before they were deputized as adjunct police or sheriff or whatever legal 'bump' in prestige they got...there was a private security firm patrolling, at least on the Wayne side of the Lodge.

As for crime in Woodbridge, I've one friend who lost her phone and money to some asshole who decided to beat her up, too...and just last night another had a computer stolen off her porch when she turned her back for a minute.

It is getting bad all over...I knew a few folks at that party where the two dudes walked up and emptied everyone's pockets. This gang will keep it up until there is some resistance, hipsters are easy pickings.

No cheers on this one...
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-24-10 at 07:58 AM.