Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Muslims have a much right to freedom of religion under the First Amendment as anyone else. I don't remember the Albanian mosque along I-94 in Harper Woods ever being a source of problems. The Rev. Phelps' church and the KKK are religious groups that get themselves in trouble for anything from disturbing the peace to lynchings. They too are free to speak out and maintain their freedom of religion but they have no right to hurt others. I am curious where the money is coming from to pay for this mosque. For instance, the Wahhabis spend money promoting a particularly intolerant branch of Islam. Sharia law conflicts with Constitutional law. If the people behind building this mosque would voluntarily make a gesture such as condemning Sharia law, perhaps that would reassure the locals that this mosque has little or nothing to do with ghastly news stories having to do with Muslims elsewhere.

Good Germans no doubt watered their lawns and loved their children too. Still, even the liberals of the time, back when they still recognized evil and had a sense of self-preservation, thought it prudent to limit immigration from turbulent places like Germany and Japan for a time. As mentioned, Muslims must be allowed to practice their religion peacefully as everyone else but Congress does have the power and duty to protect our shores until the storm has passed as it did in Germany, Japan, and Vietnam. I suspect that some protestors are confusing the religious liberty the Constitution demands in the US with what goes on mostly overseas from which the Constitution affords us protection.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    If the people behind building this mosque would voluntarily make a gesture such as condemning Sharia law, perhaps that would reassure the locals that this mosque has little or nothing to do with ghastly news stories having to do with Muslims elsewhere.
    This shows a gross misunderstanding of what Sharia is, and how it fits into Muslim religious practice and religious communities [[an understandable error though, given the ridiculous faux-panic whipped up over "sharia law" on Fox News and other far-right-wing media). Would you ask a Christian community to condemn its own Canon Law? Would you ask a Jewish community to condemn Halakha?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-10-15 at 02:02 PM.

Actually, I used wikipedia as a neutral source. Your "Faux" fantasy presumptions are misplaced. I wouldn't ask a Christian community to condemn Canon Law but then why would I? I have never heard of any movement seeking to replace constitutional law with Canon Law. What I wrote was, "If the people behind building this mosque would voluntarily make a gesture such as condemning Sharia law, perhaps that would reassure the locals that this mosque has little or nothing to do with ghastly news stories having to do with Muslims elsewhere." I was trying to get away from phony zoning attempts used to discriminate against building mosques. Tomorrow is the anniversary of one set of Muslims killing thousands of Americans. Maybe I am not the only Americans who remembers this distasteful event precipitated by Islamic beliefs. So really, what is wrong with the people wanting to build this mosque reaching out to reassure their nervous neighbors that no they abhor those slivers of Islam all over the world who do such things...if they do?
    from Wikipedia- "Sharia or sharia law is the Islamic legal system derived from the religious precepts of Islam, particularly the Quranand the Hadith. The term sharia comes from the Arabic language term sharīʿah, which means a body of moral and religious law derived from religious prophecy, as opposed to human legislation." "The introduction of sharia is a longstanding goal for Islamist movements globally, including in Western countries""Sharia courts treat women and men as unequal, with Muslim woman's life and blood-money compensation sentence as half as that of a Muslim man's life. Sharia also treats Muslims and non-Muslims as unequal in the sentencing process." "The European Court of Human Rights determined that "sharia is incompatible with the fundamental principles of democracy". The article goes on but you get the drift. Sharia Law is incompatible with democracy and constitutional governance. Let's not pretend that Islam hasn't any warts on the anniversary of 9/11. Remember, I'm on the side of liberty allowing this mosque to be built. My difference with you might be that I'm not sugar coating Islam or forgetting 9/11.
    Last edited by oladub; September-10-15 at 06:48 PM.