Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I'm surprised as to why the demo company doesn't want images shown?

Anyone have any insight as to why?

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post

Possibility: Safety violations.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum
    Possibility: Safety violations.
    Possibility: POTENTIAL Safety CITATION

Its unfair to assume that any CITATION written really means there's a safety problem. It just means an inspector found something that wasn't 100% to the book. Inspectors often don't care so much about actual safety -- but are rewarded for finding something they can CITE as a violation of the rules. I always hear that this or that plant had a dozen safety violations as argument that they were an unsafe workplace. Violations don't mean that.

I've dealt with OSHA. Once they decide to inspect a job site, you will probably get a violation. There are so many rules, that complete compliance is an impossibility. So inspectors easily find something. Sometimes deserved, but often just technical violations -- such as signage not being in place, or some railing somewhere that isn't 100% in compliance.

There's no advantage in letting photos out. And a lot of potential disadvantages -- POTENTIAL safety citations are just one.

[[Nothing in this post is intended to say that safety isn't really important. We've done a great job in the first world to create a pretty safe workplace for everyone. But also realize that safety has its costs. Why is housing unaffordable to many? Partly because we require a lot of safety in how we design and construct homes. I think that's mostly good. But we shouldn't complain when our homes cost twice per s.f. as one in, say, Brazil.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Its unfair to assume that any CITATION written really means there's a safety problem. It just means an inspector found something that wasn't 100% to the book. Inspectors often don't care so much about actual safety -- but are rewarded for finding something they can CITE as a violation of the rules. I always hear that this or that plant had a dozen safety violations as argument that they were an unsafe workplace. Violations don't mean that.

I've dealt with OSHA. Once they decide to inspect a job site, you will probably get a violation. There are so many rules, that complete compliance is an impossibility. So inspectors easily find something. Sometimes deserved, but often just technical violations -- such as signage not being in place, or some railing somewhere that isn't 100% in compliance.

There's no advantage in letting photos out. And a lot of potential disadvantages -- POTENTIAL safety citations are just one.

[[Nothing in this post is intended to say that safety isn't really important. We've done a great job in the first world to create a pretty safe workplace for everyone. But also realize that safety has its costs. Why is housing unaffordable to many? Partly because we require a lot of safety in how we design and construct homes. I think that's mostly good. But we shouldn't complain when our homes cost twice per s.f. as one in, say, Brazil.)
    Nice try. A CITATION is issued when a VIOLATION is observed. I've worked with OSHA also and have taken OSHA training [[10 & 30).
    Poor baby: "My house costs too much because no one got hurt/killed building it". Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Honestly WM, with a project of this magnitude and publicity, I find it hard to believe OSHA isn't aware of it and doing regular inspections to make sure things are on the up and up. This isn't someone taking down an old storage shed in their backyard. I don't think the Joe demolition is going on under the cover of darkness.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-20-19 at 06:27 AM.

Looking at the twitter comments it seems to have stirred emotions,as demolitions do.

It was probably based more on complaints verses the demo companies wishes.