Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Is there enough foot traffic to support a multiplex on Bagley or anywhere downtown for that matter? And shouldn't another hotel or hotel/condo project go into the Tuller footprint? With a dramatic restoration of the UA - architecture for architecture's sake - whoever takes this project on had better decide up front if his [[her) theater is going to be a money generating facility, 365, or merely "available for functions" throughout the year. Doesn't Detroit already have enough performance spaces for what the city is? Mothball the restored UA for another day [[if the owner can afford to sit on it); make it a specialty movie house [[but risk changes in the look of the stage area to accommodate a giant screen); but whatever happens can this grand old auditorium make a go of it in an era where home entertainment rules.
    Last edited by Vitalis; November-21-19 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
    Is there enough foot traffic to support a multiplex on Bagley or anywhere downtown for that matter?
    No multiplexes have foot traffic, they are all in suburban sprawl locations, so why must downtown be required to have foot traffic? The city has 600,000 people and one multi-plex, residents/visitors/tourists should be able to support a multi-screen cinema complex. I think.

For anecdote's sake, a lack of a movie theater is a big complaint of a co-worker who lives downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    No multiplexes have foot traffic, they are all in suburban sprawl locations, so why must downtown be required to have foot traffic? The city has 600,000 people and one multi-plex, residents/visitors/tourists should be able to support a multi-screen cinema complex. I think.

For anecdote's sake, a lack of a movie theater is a big complaint of a co-worker who lives downtown.
    Definitely was annoying when I lived downtown. Only option was in the Ren Cen, x4 theaters, and limited times.

Southen, JK313, and Detroitdave make great points about what should be constructed

I was just trying to propose something that made the restoration of the UA theater more financially palatable. With my proposal, the costs would be divided between Ilitch/Moten, Emagine, and possibly Big Sean.

I wonder if the ACE Hotel would be willing to come to the Detroit market and handle the restoration of the theater?

Vitalis's assertion to mothball the theater portion was echoed by the Preservation Wayne president and certain Historic Commission members when the theater demolition subject was addressed in the Historic Commission Meeting last week.