Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I would like to say that while you like to brag about Oakland County AAA credit rating you should be reminded that that credit rating is only good as long as Detroit is standing financially. If Detroit falls, everything in metro Detroit including that AAA credit rating of Oakland County falls with it.

Nope - the region does not live or die by Detroit. No matter how much Detroiters may like to think so. OC will be just fine, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Nope - the region does not live or die by Detroit. No matter how much Detroiters may like to think so. OC will be just fine, thanks.
    Then perhaps you should tell L. Brooks that since it is he who has repeated this over and over and over again.

lincoln8740 Guest

Then perhaps you should tell L. Brooks that since it is he who has repeated this over and over and over again.
    just trying to be nice to the new mayor

sounds good on the radio, but let's see him put some OC money into Detroit--Not that I am for that by any means

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    just trying to be nice to the new mayor

sounds good on the radio, but let's see him put some OC money into Detroit--Not that I am for that by any means
    Typical.......making excuses. I bring you the man's own words and you who don't know L. Brooks Patterson would make excuses for him. So funny. I bet when the great man was caught drinking while driving and the OC deputies took him home you probably said that someone drugged him and that is why he was impaired.

I live in OC, and I have to disagree with this. The reason I disagree is that when the rest of the country -that is, the people we would like to move here, spend their money and contribute taxes- do not distinguish between OC and Detroit. As nice as Royal Oak, Birmingham, Plymouth, and Gross Pointe might be to us, the rest of the country see's each of these places as a city-that-is-X-miles-from-Detroit.

You've seen people's faces when you tell them that your city is X miles from Detroit, right?

This is where I think L. Brooks [[and many others) was wrong about the significance of Detroit to OC and the region. In trying to kill Detroit, the region was hoist by its own petard.

Quote Originally Posted by mogo View Post
    I live in OC, and I have to disagree with this. The reason I disagree is that when the rest of the country -that is, the people we would like to move here, spend their money and contribute taxes- do not distinguish between OC and Detroit. As nice as Royal Oak, Birmingham, Plymouth, and Gross Pointe might be to us, the rest of the country see's each of these places as a city-that-is-X-miles-from-Detroit.

You've seen people's faces when you tell them that your city is X miles from Detroit, right?

This is where I think L. Brooks [[and many others) was wrong about the significance of Detroit to OC and the region. In trying to kill Detroit, the region was hoist by its own petard.
    When I read comments like the one the dude from OC posted, I am reminded of Comerica and their exodus from Detroit..err Metro Detroit. When asked why the need to move to Dallas, the CEO stated that no one wanted to move here. He wasn't just talking about Detroit, he was talking about the entire region. Sure, Comerica could have done the old move to the suburbs but even the suburbs was a loser to Comerica. Look at the former KMart now Sears Holdings. The owner of KMart bought Sears merged the two companies and moved everything to Hoffman Estates, IL.

When I read comments like the one the dude from OC posted, I am reminded of Comerica and their exodus from Detroit..err Metro Detroit. When asked why the need to move to Dallas, the CEO stated that no one wanted to move here. He wasn't just talking about Detroit, he was talking about the entire region. Sure, Comerica could have done the old move to the suburbs but even the suburbs was a loser to Comerica. Look at the former KMart now Sears Holdings. The owner of KMart bought Sears merged the two companies and moved everything to Hoffman Estates, IL.
    It's because this is the most racially polarized area in the U.S.

Just a ;ittle something for the crowd who likes to say Young was racist. If that be the case then look at this activist for equality and integration

Consider this:

Patterson attended the University of Detroit Jesuit High School and received a Bachelor's degree from the University of Detroit, and his Juris Doctor in 1967 from its law school[citation needed]. He was admitted to the bar as an attorney in 1967[citation needed]. In December 2006, he was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Kettering University in Flint, Michigan[citation needed].

In 1968 he was hired by the Oakland County Prosecuting Attorney's office as an assistant prosecutor[citation needed]. He left that office in 1971 and shortly thereafter ran for his former boss's position as Oakland County Prosecuting Attorney[citation needed]. He won the 1972 election and served as Prosecuting Attorney until 1988, when he left to practice law in the private sector[citation needed].
    In the 1970s, he was a leader in the fight against court-ordered cross-district school busing for racial integration

"In the 1970s, he was a leader in the fight against court-ordered cross-district school busing for racial integration"

Mmmm...busing. Another genius idea. I try to be a progressive person, but forced integration is not the way to go. My mom could have gone to West Bloomfield High [[don't think for a minute she was a rich snob, she wasn't), but instead had to go to Pontiac Central. It didn't do anyone good anywhere. Better funding in predominately African-American schools so they had the same resources as their white counterparts would have been a better answer. I don't believe in "separate but equal" of course, but when the demographic cards are handed to you, you have to play without hurting the neighborhoods and communities.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    "In the 1970s, he was a leader in the fight against court-ordered cross-district school busing for racial integration"

Mmmm...busing. Another genius idea. I try to be a progressive person, but forced integration is not the way to go. My mom could have gone to West Bloomfield High [[don't think for a minute she was a rich snob, she wasn't), but instead had to go to Pontiac Central. It didn't do anyone good anywhere. Better funding in predominately African-American schools so they had the same resources as their white counterparts would have been a better answer. I don't believe in "separate but equal" of course, but when the demographic cards are handed to you, you have to play without hurting the neighborhoods and communities.
    Two federal district judges ordered consolidation of school districts for attendance with busing across district lines to allow for more integration where a district was largely black. One of the cases was in Virginia where the judge ordered busing across the separate school districts of the City of Richmond, Henrico County, Chesterfield County. The purpose of this order and massive busing was to achieve integration of the virtually all-black City of Richmond schools. The second case was in Michigan where the judge ordered busing across multiple school districts in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties to allow for integration of the virtually all-black Detroit schools. Both case wound their way up to the U.S. Supreme Court where it was found that the district judges involed had exceeded their authority in their court-orders, so Patterson's opposition to the orders was upheld as the proper law.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Just a ;ittle something for the crowd who likes to say Young was racist. If that be the case then look at this activist for equality and integration

Consider this:
    I fail to see where any of this is relevant to your point. The only attempt at it is apparently because L. Brooks, an attorney, represented a cleint, Nation Action Group, with regard to forced busing in Pontiac Schools? http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=161.

or, do a search on L. Brooks Patterson Pontiac Busing.

Interestingly, Judge Damon Keith [[yes, THAT Judge Damon Keith) had already ruled that Pontiac had forced segregation - "pronouncement of good intentions with nothing more amounts to monumental hypocrisy."

L. Brooks - "I can't in good conscience tell parents, black or white, to send their children to school where friction is so great that they're going to the hospital day after day..."

You need to leave them drugs alone Son, If Detroit goes down, everything surrounding it goes down too.