Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote: "July in AZ is not my idea of "pleasant"."

You said it. What these folks always leave out is their pleasant day is contingent on their AC system. If it isn't working, it's otherwise unbearable. Quite frankly, I like the occasional rain and overcast day. Being sunny all the time, makes one take it for granted, and is tough on the folks who have to work out in it. I worked outside in the south at one time, 90 degrees by 10 am and midday was just impossible to do anything. Everyday, for months, the same story. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

You said it. What these folks always leave out is their pleasant day is contingent on their AC system. If it isn't working, it's otherwise unbearable. Quite frankly, I like the occasional rain and overcast day. Being sunny all the time, makes one take it for granted, and is tough on the folks who have to work out in it. I worked outside in the south at one time, 90 degrees by 10 am and midday was just impossible to do anything. Everyday, for months, the same story. No thanks.
    I'm with you. I hate hot weather and would have to have premium pay to live in the Sunbelt.

"Let's be sure to revisit that issue in two to four years and see what the situation is then. Bookmark this thread, folks!"

I'll make it clear for my slow conservative friends. If you're going to blame Obama's "tax increases" for the current state of the economy, where are they? Or let's blame Michigan's "tax increases" for the crappy state of Michigan's economy. Except for the first 5 years Granholm was in office, state income taxes went down or at worst, were flat. No major state tax was increased during Granholm's first five years in office. What? The license fees were what killed the state economy? What wonders did the tax cuts do for the state economy?

Do taxes matter? Yes but not that much. The state income tax rate today is lower than it was for almost any time when Engler was Governor. The federal income tax rates are lower than almost any time when Bill Clinton was President. By the conservative logic of today, our economy should be roaring along with the lower income tax rates. But that isn't the case. Why? Because most of the reasons that the economy is crappy have little to do with tax rates.

What I would like to know is all this "job re-training" that both sides of the political aisle keep talking about... retraining for what?

Information Technology? Outsourced to India.

Engineering? Outsourced to India.

Technical Factory Worker? Outsourced to China.

Medical profession? OK... but just how many new jobs can it bear?

"Green Jobs"? Eventually all those windmills will be made in China anyway... and as for the battery technology... aren't most of these jobs gonna end up in Asia [[Korea and China)?

So what jobs can people be re-trained for that can't be sent to overseas? Building trades? [[not doing so hot right now)....

Even tele-marketters are getting "offshored"...
    Last edited by Gistok; July-17-09 at 01:13 AM.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

This may be one of our rare moments of agreement. I live in Miami, and have for 14 years, and the summers are hotter than they have been in years past. Today, 101 on the thermometer, and I'm on Biscayne Bay, where there should be a breeze. All sun, all the time. We had an unusually rainy month in June, but with that comes the baking humidity. I look forward to my home in Southfield for the seasonal change, and plan to spend much more time there in coming years.