Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Actually the incorporation of the city was done just for the Dodge Bros. on Henry Ford's advise so Detroit could not annex the city and they would not be forced to pay Detroit taxes. So yes made up. Now Hamtramck Township has a facinating history.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Actually the incorporation of the city was done just for the Dodge Bros. on Henry Ford's advise so Detroit could not annex the city and they would not be forced to pay Detroit taxes. So yes made up. Now Hamtramck Township has a facinating history.
    I am aware of the history of the Dodge brothers and of Henry Ford's role in the incorporation of Highland Park. But don't forget also that these areas of the city had their own character as well. Highland Park was for a time the home of the well-to-do. Hamtramck was an ethnically Polish area, and no doubt that played into its incorporation.

What I don't understand is why you should think Hamtramck Township's history interesting, but dismiss the city of Hamtramck's. After all, you could argue that many factors had a role in the incorporation of Hamtramck: Eastern European ethnicity, a Dodge company town, the "northern migration" of Poles from Detroit, etc. Why is that not interesting but the original township of Hamtramck, essentially an arbitrary assignment of land in Wayne County east of Greenfield Township, fascinating?

I think you're just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I am aware of the history of the Dodge brothers and of Henry Ford's role in the incorporation of Highland Park. But don't forget also that these areas of the city had their own character as well. Highland Park was for a time the home of the well-to-do. Hamtramck was an ethnically Polish area, and no doubt that played into its incorporation.

What I don't understand is why you should think Hamtramck Township's history interesting, but dismiss the city of Hamtramck's. After all, you could argue that many factors had a role in the incorporation of Hamtramck: Eastern European ethnicity, a Dodge company town, the "northern migration" of Poles from Detroit, etc. Why is that not interesting but the original township of Hamtramck, essentially an arbitrary assignment of land in Wayne County east of Greenfield Township, fascinating?

I think you're just being silly.
    There is way more than just being "assinged" with the twp history. and yes I know about the history behind both but for me interesting stopped when they came under the control of Ford and Dodge except for the 2 historic districts in HP, the McGregor Library and the churches in both cities. When its all said and done both cities evolved due to their respective major employers and would not be separate entities had there not been a monetary motive. Silly no, but I will be waiting eagerly for the last word you have to get in! Also included an image of Dodge offices.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; July-27-12 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Silly no, but I will be waiting eagerly for the last word you have to get in!
    So that's what debating is. You just make your point, and then when somebody responds, you ignore the content of their points, and then post something that doesn't respond to it -- but you accuse them of having to get the last word! Brilliant. That way, you get to run away from the discussion in hopes that you "won" [[do you even know WTF you're arguing about anymore?) and if you didn't "win," then that the other party has to get the last word.

Guess what, p69rrh51? I'm rubber and you're glue -- times infinity.