Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Take a look at this link! There's a Youtube film made inside the MCS in 1987! The station was still looking in a pretty good shape. They were concerned about waterdamage to the ceiling.... Well, it went all downhill from there.

Link.

Be aware!! There is a gruesome image present of a homeless man buried under ice! Just a warning beforehand.

[[For those who don't want to be confronted with that here's the Youtube movie.)

Here's another clip of the MSC but from the spring of spiring of 1999.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-10-09 at 09:47 PM.

That's not MCS, sorry....that's across the street at the Roosevelt Warehouse....that building can go
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; December-10-09 at 09:48 PM.

It is? Then why is that clip announced as "Michigan Central Station - 1987"? The second clip however indeed is the MCS.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    That's not MCS, sorry....that's across the street at the Roosevelt Warehouse....that building can go

I believe I can see the difference between MCS and Roosevelt Warehouse.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-11-09 at 03:24 PM.

I think he meant the frozen homeless man, which is a very well-known image around here and was taken in the Roosevelt Warehoue - although many seem to associate it with MCS for some reason. The videos do indeed appear to be of MCS. The 1987 one is the way I remember the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    It is? Then why is that clip announced as "Michigan Central Station - 1987"? The second clip however indeed is the MCS.

I believe I can see the difference between MCS and Roosevelt Warehouse.
    Sorry I thought you meant MCS was universal for your whole post. But yes the 1987 video is wonderful, Garnet Cousins, the man in the video is an amazing person. Very generous in his wealth of knowledge on the topic and in architecture in general. He wrote a great 2-part piece for Train magazine on MCS, as well as his college thesis for his Masters degree.

PQZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    So, I'm curious. What is the excuse Maroun gave you for why he and his firm have not fully secured the Roosevelt warehouse? In the past you have lain the blame of vandalism and decay of the MCS at the feet of the City saying that it does not do an adequate job of securing the portion of the complex it owns - that damage to the MCS is an outcome of City actions, not the actions of Maroun.....the trespass at Rossevelt is squarely at the feet of Maroun / DIBC.

He can afford a suite to entertain you and others at Ford Field but he can't afford to secure a building?

Perhaps it was just a harmless oversight that he and his team neglected to provide you and others with adequate protection when cleaning out the MCS. BTW, the six separate times I entered the MCS during as investigation of its suitability as a police HQ, the DIBC representatives took pains to ensure we were aware of the presence of hazardous materials. I find it hard to believe they "forgot" that fact in the interim...