Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I had a thing where I took my daughter for a couple years to this discount toy store on Van Dyke, telling her I was looking for toys for one of her cousins or whoever, but she could get one toy [[then I would go back and buy what she was interested in for Christmas.) So I took her there one year when she was 5 or 6 and there was a Santa in front. When I asked if she wanted to say hi to Santa she copped an attitude & said "That's not Santa. Santa's white!" It was time to be a good dad...

I asked her to think about it for a minute. Every mall her mother ever took her to had a white Santa, right? Were they the same guy? No. One Santa was even a woman! So were any of them the real Santa? No. All the Santa's on TV were white, but they're actors portraying what is most acceptable to the majority of the USA. So since we don't actually know what the real Santa looks like, wouldn't it be possible that the real Santa is a black man who has the perfect disguise, allowing white people their false white dream? For all we know, this is the real Santa!

At that moment I saw her face light up with all the hopes and dreams of a child, as she ran to him with her arms wide screaming "SANTA!!!"

every one of my christmases was the best. after my dad had transformed our attic into bedrooms for my sisters and myself, we heard santa's reindeer on the roof! then we came flying down the stairs to see a beautiful letter from santa, taped to the wall with ribbons and bows.

also, going to eastland mall to see santa. the best "north pole" ever. our parents would always take us to see the houses in grosse pointe that would have huge christmas displays, 'bout the size of the actual houses.

Retroit Guest

I never believed in Santa. Thought the whole idea was pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    That's only because he left you a nice lump of coal every christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    actually, that's kinda sad

Just some unconnected memories. One year, I must have been about eight, I really wanted a Chatty Kathy doll. My poor Mom must have gone everywhere to find one, but no luck. Santa wrote me a letter with a promissary note. I got one for Easter. Still have her.

Must have been around 10 or eleven and really wanted white leather GoGo boots. I got them and boy did I think I was hot!

So many nice memories Downtown Hudson's, Family get togethers on Christmas Eve, the Ford Rotunda, Lakeshore Drive light shows.

Fast forward to adulthood. We were hosting the family get together Christmas Eve so we raced home from church to set things up. My husband lit a fire in the fireplace but forgot to open the flue. He has never lived that down.

The year our eldest son was about five maybe six and every damn thing we bought him had to be assembled. We are not terribly handy and it was almost six am by the time we were done. Never went to bed cause the kid was up and ready to go at 6:30.

Our youngest son picking out the coolest Christmas tree we ever had.

The year my kids boycotted the tree decorating because I cheaped out and used an artificial tree.

Nice memories, thanks for jogging my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Just some unconnected memories. One year, I must have been about eight, I really wanted a Chatty Kathy doll. My poor Mom must have gone everywhere to find one, but no luck. Santa wrote me a letter with a promissary note. I got one for Easter. Still have her.

Must have been around 10 or eleven and really wanted white leather GoGo boots. I got them and boy did I think I was hot! .

Suams - I still have my Chatty Cathy too but shes sounds like an alien now! I also received GoGo boots but was kinda pissed because I got the ankle ones and my sister received the ones that went to the knee. Oh well, we looked cute anyway.

dfunkycity Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Suams - I still have my Chatty Cathy too but shes sounds like an alien now! I also received GoGo boots but was kinda pissed because I got the ankle ones and my sister received the ones that went to the knee. Oh well, we looked cute anyway.

You can purchase a kit to repair the talk box on Cathy online.
    U can probably find it on Ebay.

Actually, here it is.It is a repair service. Im sure u can find it cheaper with some research.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Restore-your-Cha...#ht_4629wt_958
    Last edited by dfunkycity; November-22-09 at 11:27 AM.