Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    Lorax, I am sorry to hear about Grand Lawn's condition. My grand parents are buried there and ever since my dad's death [[ their son ), I feel like I should go and " check" on them. Frankly, I am a bit afraid to go there by myself. It seems like an ideal place to get robed, or worse. My mother, father and brother are all buried next to each other in Hole Sepulchre in Southfield. It is a lovely, pleaceful place and I don't mind going there at all. I have never been afraid to go there alone.
    Grand Lawn's grass is kept cut, but aside from that, there are flat stones that are completely overgrown and have disappeared under the grass, many dead trees from who knows how many years back, the roof of the beautiful English style entrance building is peeling like a lemon, and the fencing along both Telegraph and Grand River has been hit so many times by cars, there are dozens of breaches where anyone can walk in day or night, and flimsy, lousy looking patch jobs of the stone posts and iron fencing.

Even the bridge over the little river is crumbling, as are the lamp posts on it.

I mentioned to the two individuals in the office my concerns, and they were indignant, as if I was somehow seeing something that wasn't there!

I called the new owners, and only got a voicemail, and no return call. The new organization that bought all the cemeteries [[28 I believe) that were in Michigan and part of that cemetery scandal last year are apparently no better if they can't return a phone call. Woodlawn is one of them, and is in certainly better shape than Grand Lawn.

I say do whatever is best for your grandparents, and your memories, and if you feel unsafe going there, then have them moved. We are considering it, and will make a decision next spring.

Even in the 11 years since our mom's death it has become dumpy, so it's doubtful they will recover the stolen funds from the last owners, unless they intend to spend their own money restoring the place.
    Last edited by Lorax; November-04-09 at 08:17 PM.