Spivey has his own problems and perhaps some of his constituents [[the peeps) from the club he part owns [[Berts) may also think KK is getting a raw deal... not surprisingly.
Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
This post is a follow-up to my earlier post:

"Yeah, that's what he said, and during tonight's Q&A on WADL-TV 38, a couple of candidates removed themselves from my "maybe" list by vomiting up that wholly unacceptable "he's been punished, let's leave him alone and move on" horseshit."

I'm going to present this post in six segments. The Q&A featured six candidates for Detroit's City Council. I will summarize, in a couple of spots, but where you see quotation marks it is, indeed, a quote, and I will double, triple, and quadruple-check my work to ascertain that I have presented the remarks exactly as they were spoken. [[There was a spot where Spivey slurred over a word; I will indicate that spot within the quote.) Italics are used to indicate words which were spoken with emphasis. I will present the responses in the order in which they were spoken.

The question was:
"Should he be allowed to ride quietly off to Texas, or should the city aggressively pursue an investigation against him and collect what they're owed?

Dearing:
"Mr. Finley, I humbly request that the media would stop goin' after Mayor Kilpatrick. I believe the man has paid his fair share, uh, due to society, and I believe that should be a private matter for him and his family to deal with."

Jones:
Councilwoman Jones referred, briefly, to the fact that she had served on the council during the period in which all of this scandal had erupted, and concluded by saying:
"...I'm ready to move on; the city has a lot of problems that we need to deal with, and so I'm ready to move on."

Johnson:
"Y'know, the media has never been favorable to successful young black men. Whatever mistakes they have made, whatever poor decisions they have incur, whatever failed difficulty factors and things they could have done better, that's somethin' that he have to deal with with his God. I think that once he paid his dues, and paid his time, and done his time, I think that we should let him alone. For surely, be careful how you judge, because you too will be judged with the same measure."

Watson:
Councilwoman Watson did not give a direct answer to the question. She first stated that she, alone, voted against the settlement, and followed that statement with a somewhat rambling commentary in which she stated that she thought the city should be moving in an effort to get that money back; she included some pointed remarks toward the Free Press and Mike Stefani.

Cross:
"If the City of Detroit, and the media would press them to do so, to go after the substantial amount of monies that are owed to the City of Detroit, back taxes, unpaid fees, all across the board, we could probably settle our budget deficit right now if we had a plan to go after that. What's more important, that we go after that million dollars which is only a fraction of what's owed, or do we put a full-time effort into collecting money that's owed to the City of Detroit? And the media need to be pressing that, that's far more important than goin' after former mayor Kilpatrick."

Spivey:
"Brother Johnson made it very [[sounded like: 'pointedly') clear, uh, former mayor Kilpatrick did his time for the crime he committed. I wanna be elected a City Councilperson. Kym Worthy is the Wayne County Prosecutor. I'll let her do her job; on Tuesday, let me begin my job."