Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Corporations are often proud to support the PBS because it makes them look good for supporting one of the few really informative sources that is left. PBS is practically the only American outlet that will provide a format for news and discussion that reasonable and/or smart people who prefer long-format presentation can use.

There is a lack of quality local programming, though. There should be a nightly Detroit-focused, or at least Michigan-focused, news show to provide a reasonable alternative to the horrific broadcasts on 2, 4, and 7. Other cities' public tv affiliates have this. Further, where's Charlie Rose and Tavis Smiley? Oh-- they put them on after midnight, if at all. Bad call.
Mackinaw, I think you're basically correct in your assessment. Thanks for that input. If I watch tee vee, it's usually the PBS News, Frontline, Bill Moyers, John Stewart, Stephen Colbert and anything else I might accidentally come across. I'm terrible at scheduling this stuff because of my dislike for tee vee. Regardless, it was disconcerting to hear the names of the sponsors.