Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Andrea, your site is great! I posted a picture there, and will post more in the future. My only suggestion would be to have new posts post to the top, not the bottom, so that the top of the page would always have the most current, most recent stuff [[like on a blog.)

But, anyway, keep up the good work. I think your site is cool.

Allemon's Garden Center on Mack for propane, firewood and perennials. But don't tell anyone. Most of their clientele aren't aware they are actually in Detroit.

stinkbug Guest

This is a great thread, because our purchasing power and voting with our dollars has the potential to bring the city back.
    I second many of the aforementioned. Props to the big box stores brought up [[The K-Mart and very successful Home Depot) , since many claim they don't exist or can't survive in the City. Home Depot just had an article in the freep this past summer, worth reading.
    So without being redundant, National Dry Goods on Trumbull is great for many types of clothing.
    To reiterate, groceries its HoneyBee, University, and Eastern Market. I love also stopping at Goodwells and Avalon on the way home. Goodwells has what I like to call fast food that doesn't kill you - a vegan pocket sandwich for $4 something. Good for you and the local economy.
    If you want to challenge your comfort zone, check out the furniture store run out of the storefront church at Mt. Elliot and Forest. We got some beautful pieces from there. It's run by the pastor and staffed by street people. You can get some great deals and get people to work who need it and ain't gonna get it elsewhere. Unfortunately the name escapes me.

stinkbug Guest

Oh yeah, and Brooks Lumber on Trumbull and I-75. Your friendly, utilitarian one-stop shop for lumber and all your handyman needs.

Sonnenberg Hardware 2302 Junction St, Detroit, MI 48209 is a true neighborhood hardware store...been around for over 80 years and where else can you bet a key for a 80 year old lock cut for about $1.00 including tax. Friendly bilingiual staff and parking lot so you can avoid the dreaded meter maids who have invaded SW Detroit like a plague of beetles.
    [[313) 554-4367

we wanted milk at 11pm on the way back to our rv spot, Stores HA HA HA ....... Every gas station looked rather scary. For days we were looking for a convenient spot to do some shopping, hard to find. You really have to plan a trip to the store here.

There are more retail options in the city than most people realize.

I have a printer, computer monitor, computer speakers, and an SD card purchased from Computing Express on Griswold. I have a closet full of clothes from Jos A Bank in the RenCen, I have socks and underwear from National Dry Goods on Trumbull, I have a number of ties from Sam's Tailor in the RenCen, where I have taken all my clothing alterations for years. I have bathroom accessories from the Bureau of Urban Living. I have purchased a number of hardware items from Busy Bee on Gratiot. I took my bike to Wheelhouse, on the Riverfront, for new tubes and installation this summer. I bought office supplies from Staples on Jefferson a few weeks ago.

For clothes I shop at the Salvation Army on Fort St, great brands such as Banana Republic, ann taylor, the gap, etc. Can beat those bargains esp on the half off days. For food I shop at Trader Joes and Krogers in GP. For household items I usually go to Target in Southfield. Too bad Harbortown is on the fritz..

instead of going all the way on the far eastside [[8 Mile & Gratiot) for a dozen glazed donuts just to keep money circulating within city limits
    But that is just the thing....are you really keeping money within the city limits when you buy some donuts or supplies or cereal? Once the money reaches the cash register, it doesn't stay there and some of it prbably goes to pay vendors of that specific market or donut shop. How many of the business owners choose to keep their $$ in the city when they need services to maintain their commercial establishment? They sure as hell ain't gooing to choose a vendor because of his or her location. They will choose the best price, even if that means the supplier/vendor is comming from SCS.

Thanks HazenPingree. There are a lot of great posts on this forum, I'm going to add a link to the facebook page so people can check some of these places out

Donuts near Palmer Park? Easy... Dutch Girl Donuts, Woodward near 7 Mile. Best in town. Been going there for 40 years.

Great thread!
    Sometimes I shop at University Foods. They have a nice selection and they carry some organics. I do most of my grocery shopping at Glory Foods in Hamtramck. I won't buy meat there though,corned beef being the exception. I love deli meats&cheeses and usually go to either Eastern Market or Kowalski's on Jos.Campau. I just discovered The Gourmet Deli in New Center One. Service was fast&friendly. Aldis in Highland Park has good prices and nice [[generic) selection. I know some look down on Aldis but I'd suggest you give them a try. The store is clean and in a safe location. I get good deals and save a few bucks. I buy my milk and medicine cabinet items at CVS on Woodward&Bethune. If I need milk after hours the CVS on Warren&Brush is open 24 hours. Detroit Hardware on Woodward& Milwaukee is open 6 days a week. They've been in Detroit for years. Good service and fair/competative prices.
    The best donuts in the city,imo,can be found at Dutch Girl. I haven't been there in awhile[[watching my weight) but they used to be open 24 hours at least 6 days out of the week. If I'm in the mood to treasure hunt I head down to Value World. For inexpensive houshold items[[dish detergents,laundry detergent,cleaning supplies,etc) I go to Family Dollar on Woodward&Philadelphia.Not the friendliest service in town but good prices. Speaking of Family Dollar,the one in Highland Park near the library has the nicest staff of any of the FD stores I've ever been in! I was very impressed by the politeness of the employees.
    Oh yeah for spices and such Rocky's in Eastern Market can't be beat! There's also a produce market in Eastern Market that I sometimes go to for fruits&veggies but I can't think of the name right now.
    Last edited by trotwood; November-05-09 at 05:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2