Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

The bar Rick Beall inquired about and featured in the google photo was Rosie's. It was a lively neighborhood joint in it's days. Next door toward the north or left in the photo, was a gas station and to the right in the photo was apartment barges floating on the Rouge [[yes, Rick) River between Rosie's and the train bridge to Zug. The apartment barges were owned by a woman I knew well for many years. She tried convincing a friend and I to rent them. We passed on living on the beautiful Rouge River. On the other side [[south and to the right in the picture) of the train bridge to Zug was another gas station. I'm quite sure it was a Standard Oil Station during the 60's. It had a nice white fence along the back of the lot. Kids from Delray used to jump and swim in the Rouge River from there. Further to the right is the building that housed the John Kar Bottling Company and even further still, is the original home of Marine Pollution Controls Corporation, now known as MPC Environmental. The reason I mention that is because it was founded and is still owned by Dave Usher. Dave was most recently in the news for announcing the death of his very close, long time friend, Soupy Sales. Dave Usher's two best friends were Soupy and Dizzy Gillespie. He was often in Joey's Stables with them. His building that houses MPC was originally owned by Gus Nykiel, Joey's brother. At one time it had a boat house on the river side, that was a reception point for smuggling. Gus was reputed to be an associate of the Purple Gang. I'm not sure of this, but I believe he was shot to death at the front door of Joey's during prohibition. There was also evidence of tunnels running beneath West Jefferson from Joey's to Gus's [[MPC) building. A few years ago, Dave Usher bought the former Marine Supply Warehouse, and housed his new company in it. His new company was called 'Birk's Works'. He named it after his dear, departed friend, John Birks 'Dizzy' Gillespie. There is now another 'Birk's Works' building on Mt. Elliot near 8 Mile in Detroit. I found that one by accident on a pub crawl. I was fortunate to have a drink and conversation with Dave at Baker's a few years ago for a SEMJA gathering. I may have a photo of Dave to post. He is a real and original, 'hep cat'.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; October-25-09 at 02:17 PM.