Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
I'm a long-time forumer who left Detroit 5 years ago when I was laid off from DPS. I'll be graduating from Michigan in a few short months. I cannot believe I'm nearly finished up here.

By some miracle from on high, there are actually a few jobs in my field here in SE Michigan. [[More information than that, I cannot give. Just know that it is a miracle.) I thought it was all over when I was laid off and that I'd never be able to live and work in the city again. I thought I'd be yet another Detroit expat. That may not be the case... I may not even be interviewed... we'll see what happens, but my field is mega specialized, my credentials are top-notch and watertight, to the point where I can gauge who else might be out there.

This has thrown me such a curve ball until I'm not sure where to go next from here. I've spent the past 4-5 years licking my wounds from my DPS stint, longing for 2000-2004 when I lived in Midtown, and mentally preparing myself to leave everything I've ever known. Now, if I am lucky and blessed, I might not have to. I might just be able to get back into the ring for Round Two.

I debated about whether to post about this here... because I know how you guys ARE... especially at this early stage. I freely admit that I am counting chickens, and I do have applications making their way all over the country just in case. But I find myself thinking about the programs I could start, the grants I could apply for, the folks in the community I could hire... and the places I could live... Midtown, Corktown, EEV. I could afford to buy a home, and take my time to look, maybe commuting from A2 for the first few months. I could plug right back into my networks.

What do you guys think? It's driving me a little nuts to think that this might be a glimmer of hope... and it's taking my heart out of the national job search. My advisors here are extremely supportive of me staying, but I know what some others might say... why gamble on the Michigan economy and potentially getting laid off... again... when you could make a go of it in another state?

But the thought of setting up shop in the Sun Belt or a trendy city is disheartening. I guess you can take the girl out of the 313, but...
You have to do what is best for you. That said, I hope what is best for you is moving back to Detroit. The city needs people like you. Your past posts have shown your compassion and willingness to help others. There isn't a place in the country where you could impact more lives.