Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    Thanks, Dan. I mentioned this to my brother Kevin and he thought you may have had a brother in his class, Paul maybe? Kevin graduated in 68. He said he was at this guys house once or twice, on Chalfonte right down from the high school gym.
    Yes, Paul was my brother. Sadly he died back in 1977 by suicide [[he never quite recovered from a bummer drug trip a few years earlier). We actually lived on the southeast corner of St. Mary's and Ellsworth, a very short block north of Chalfonte, until moving to Winthrop just off Eaton in early 1967. Speaking of being at someone's house I remember going to a party at your house my senior year and, no, I don't think your parents or anyone else in your family were home. Since Margaret was already at Cooley I don't have a clue anymore how I got invited though I think it was pretty much all SMR students there.

Quote Originally Posted by Civildan View Post
    Yes, Paul was my brother. Sadly he died back in 1977 by suicide [[he never quite recovered from a bummer drug trip a few years earlier). We actually lived on the southeast corner of St. Mary's and Ellsworth, a very short block north of Chalfonte, until moving to Winthrop just off Eaton in early 1967. Speaking of being at someone's house I remember going to a party at your house my senior year and, no, I don't think your parents or anyone else in your family were home. Since Margaret was already at Cooley I don't have a clue anymore how I got invited though I think it was pretty much all SMR students there.
    Wow, quit a few parallels here. My brother Kevin, who knew Paul, had a very bad acid experience in the early 70s, soon after he married Anne Cunniffe [[you probably knew some of the Cunniffes - their cousins the Lovelys lived on Winthrop down near Fenkell). He ended up suffering from schizophrenia, never fully recovered. There was a lot of speculation that it was from his bad trip, no way to know for sure.

My sisters and I [[the two closest to my age) used to have parties at the house when my parents were out of town when we were in high school. I wasn't there when Margaret had hers - I'd definitely remember that! It may have been just before the school year started - the rest of the family that still lived at home would have been on vacation up in Lexington for the week. Do you remember Fat Albert? He was a biker-looking guy who lived in the house on the southeast corner of Winthrop and Eaton. Might not have lived there til the early 70s or so. He was probably around your age, maybe a little older. Margaret got in a nasty car acident on that corner in 70 or 71, totalled our Chevy station wagon. The other guy ran the stop sign. She was lucky she didn't get seriously injured.

Wow, quit a few parallels here. My brother Kevin, who knew Paul, had a very bad acid experience in the early 70s, soon after he married Anne Cunniffe [[you probably knew some of the Cunniffes - their cousins the Lovelys lived on Winthrop down near Fenkell). He ended up suffering from schizophrenia, never fully recovered. There was a lot of speculation that it was from his bad trip, no way to know for sure.

My sisters and I [[the two closest to my age) used to have parties at the house when my parents were out of town when we were in high school. I wasn't there when Margaret had hers - I'd definitely remember that! It may have been just before the school year started - the rest of the family that still lived at home would have been on vacation up in Lexington for the week. Do you remember Fat Albert? He was a biker-looking guy who lived in the house on the southeast corner of Winthrop and Eaton. Might not have lived there til the early 70s or so. He was probably around your age, maybe a little older. Margaret got in a nasty car acident on that corner in 70 or 71, totalled our Chevy station wagon. The other guy ran the stop sign. She was lucky she didn't get seriously injured.
    That is amazing, but so sad, that both of our brothers had similarly bad expereinces with drugs. I am sure they are not alone.
    I did not know any Cunniffe's but was familiar with their and the Lovelys names. It seems like Paul may have been acquintances with a Jim[[?) Lovely. Not sure.
    The party I am thinking of was definitely well into my senior year because I remember there being a girl at the party that I had a crush on and she did not move to Detroit or attend SMR until our senior year.
    I did not know Fat Albert. I do remember there being someone that might fit that description but they lived on the southeast corner of Eaton and Forrer not Winthorp. Long, sort of thin dark hair and a bit overweight. He may have been a year or so older than me. Is it possible that's where her accident occured?

Quote Originally Posted by Civildan View Post
    ...I did not know Fat Albert. I do remember there being someone that might fit that description but they lived on the southeast corner of Eaton and Forrer not Winthorp. Long, sort of thin dark hair and a bit overweight. He may have been a year or so older than me. Is it possible that's where her accident occured?
    Now that I think of it it 'Fat Albert' probably did live on Forrer. I think his real name might have been Pat something-or-other? Pretty sure that Margaret's accident was at Winthrop and Eaton, though it was MANY years ago. The two weren't related in any way, just two memories related to Eaton.

We are headed for a last round up [[reunion) for all classes at Mother of Our Savior grade school on August 2nd, 2014.
    Contact paulmcall@comcast.net or further details

Now that I think of it it 'Fat Albert' probably did live on Forrer. I think his real name might have been Pat something-or-other? Pretty sure that Margaret's accident was at Winthrop and Eaton, though it was MANY years ago. The two weren't related in any way, just two memories related to Eaton.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by daddeeo; May-21-14 at 08:22 AM.

Reunion went well. Had over $1000 to donate to IHM nuns afterwards
    We invited some Queen Of Hope people too.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    We are headed for a last round up [[reunion) for all classes at Mother of Our Savior grade school on August 2nd, 2014.
    Contact paulmcall@comcast.net or further details

Dear SMRJim,

I will only mention the good name of "Lois" Lark - sister of the aforementioned Lark brothers. Lois was a Rustic for a short time, perhaps only her senior year, before graduating from my class of 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Reunion went well. Had over $1000 to donate to IHM nuns afterwards
    We invited some Queen Of Hope people too.

daddeeo, I have every last photo inside and out of Our Mother of Our Savior Church and School.