Ms. Maxine, I grew up on the west side of City Airport, the Six Mile and Van Dyke area,which presently is now a wasteland and all but a memory. I attended DLS from 1965 to 1969 and do have some recollection of your 'hood.

Used to hang out after school at the A & W, which was run by a big Black woman who treated us punks fairly , but wouldn't take no shit. Then there was the American-Italo Club where matters of fisticuffs were taken care of by saying, "Meet me Behind the Italo Club".

I have fond memories of Woods Drive-In. Used to go there before class for coffee and a smoke. They never let more than two students in there at a time, so used to hang in their vestibule with Tim Kiska when he attended DLS for two years and puffed on Kool cigarettes.

One time, across from Woods, a Lear Jet was parked along Conners. It was the personally private jet of James Brown. Along it's fuselage were painted his gold records [[ala an air ace) like "Try Me" and "Please, Please. Please". I hopped the fence and looked inside the aircraft, since it's door was open, and saw stacks of Playboy magazines as well as a beauty parlor style hair dryer for the maintenance of his "conk". I Personally met James when I went into Wood's after school and he was sitting there having coffee. I was amazed at how short he was, even in Beatle boots, but his process was "Outta Sight", One of the highlights of my youth, since most of the greasers and budding hippies were really into Mr. Brown's music.

I'm not familiar with your dad's drug store, but used to hitch-hike home from school at Conner and Gratiot, since there was a traffic signal that cars had to stop for east of the cop shop.