Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ryan View Post
    Ive noticed on this site its quite common to blame the victim since obviously if you live in the city limits or nearby, you take your chances. How sad to have to live this way...I watch from the sidelines.. a safe? 75 miles away.. When will Bing call for martial law?...

Martial law is not the answer the answer is a new city government that can effectively deal with it. The people need to take charge the leadership needs to take charge. Lets face it Detroit is a bad bargain for living. Unreal taxes bordering on enslavement, does not encourage anyone to move in but encourages an exodus. No services to speak of. Why pay all that money for literally no reason. With out an effective police force good people do not have a chance to make a difference.

Take this guy he is upside down in his house, the neighborhood is crumbling, Soon it will be like the rest of Detroit boarded up houses, burned, and bombed out. It has happened to the rest of city so it is coming here. His last stand just had the final straw.

As far as I can see the city government is out of control, and is insane. When we were there the people were so nice, but had very little hope, and they expressed it!

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    You did read where I used the "what if" right?

If someone other than himself called the media then they aren't a friend of his. Some people like myself are private people. I don't think I would want to share how I was robbed on TV unless I may have a ulterior motive to capitalize on my recent misfortune.
    Nope did not see that. In this case you are being cynical to even make that guess[[foreclosure).

Every man for himself. Maybe he was just so exasperated that he was wiling to go public regardless of how the media was contacted.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Personally, I think the guy realizes he made a bad investment. Reality bites, he paid three times more then his house is actually worth now. He just wants out and is using this as an excuse. He didn't sound like an idiot to me during the interview. He knew he was moving into a high crime area or an area surrounded by high crime. What he didn't know was his property value was going to go down the tubes.

After the blame the victim rationale; the conspiracy folks move in.

Quote Originally Posted by GRALR View Post
    Martial law is not the answer the answer is a new city government that can effectively deal with it. The people need to take charge the leadership needs to take charge. Lets face it Detroit is a bad bargain for living. Unreal taxes bordering on enslavement, does not encourage anyone to move in but encourages an exodus. No services to speak of. Why pay all that money for literally no reason. With out an effective police force good people do not have a chance to make a difference.

Take this guy he is upside down in his house, the neighborhood is crumbling, Soon it will be like the rest of Detroit boarded up houses, burned, and bombed out. It has happened to the rest of city so it is coming here. His last stand just had the final straw.

As far as I can see the city government is out of control, and is insane. When we were there the people were so nice, but had very little hope, and they expressed it!
    Can't argue with anything contained in the above three paragraphs. All makes perect sense to me.

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Wheel theft is common everywhere. I don't know why dude didn't park his car in his garage after the first time. Two sets of wheels doesn't equal a house. When you take the lug nut cover off, it should interupt a circuit and trip an alarm.
    No, it is not common everywhere. What a typical response to blame the victim.

Utter rubbish to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    Nope did not see that. In this case you are being cynical to even make that guess[[foreclosure).

Every man for himself. Maybe he was just so exasperated that he was wiling to go public regardless of how the media was contacted.
    Did you see the last thing I typed: J.M.O = Just my opinion.

Response time in Detroit??
    Officer Slowski at your service.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Response time in Detroit??
    Officer Slowski at your service.
    Hey, now, easy with the Polish jokes.

Why does the reporter keep saying "Palmer Park?"

crawford Guest

Wheel theft is common everywhere. I don't know why dude didn't park his car in his garage after the first time. Two sets of wheels doesn't equal a house. When you take the lug nut cover off, it should interupt a circuit and trip an alarm.
    Nice job blaming the victim.

Clearly it's his fault! He should have hired armed marksman and bloodthirsty attack dogs to patrol his property. And where was the electic fencing and landmines?

Anything less and he's obviously just asking for it!

And no, wheel theft is not "common everywhere." I have never heard of such a thing in the neighborhood I grew up in Oakland County. People keep their doors unlocked, even today, and nobody worries about a car parked in their driveway.

How do they get all 4 wheels in 7 seconds? Four guys spinning all the lugnuts off? Do the thieves typically use a jack or do they use those paving bricks?

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    How do they get all 4 wheels in 7 seconds? Four guys spinning all the lugnuts off? Do the thieves typically use a jack or do they use those paving bricks?
    My old neighbor in OC found his two SUV's on the paving bricks. I think they use whatever is available. They prop the brick underneath a strong point, loosen the lugnuts, then let the air out so the car rest on the bricks. Only way I can think they do it without using a jack.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    In this case you are being cynical to even make that guess[[foreclosure).
    That seems like a pretty safe guess. "He's just handing the deed back to the bank" can't mean anything else that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Nice job blaming the victim.

Clearly it's his fault! He should have hired armed marksman and bloodthirsty attack dogs to patrol his property. And where was the electic fencing and landmines?

Anything less and he's obviously just asking for it!

And no, wheel theft is not "common everywhere." I have never heard of such a thing in the neighborhood I grew up in Oakland County. People keep their doors unlocked, even today, and nobody worries about a car parked in their driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    No, it is not common everywhere. What a typical response to blame the victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post

Utter rubbish to say the least.

Why don’t you both make a trip your local police station and ask for an YTD crime report on Vehicular Larcenies because you both are embarrassing yourselves senselessly by making unsupportive statements. I do blame the victim for allowing the same crime to be perpetrated against him twice. The first time he was ignorant to the situation, once you are aware of your vulnerabilities, it’s your responsibility to protect yourself and your property, failure to do so only results in being able to only blame yourself. It’s no longer “I should have known better” its now “I did know and I didn’t do anything about it”. A $25 set of locking lugnuts would have saved us all from the ignorance that pollutes this site.

UFO Guest

pointless as usual

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    The thieves were most likely using a jack [[Or jacks) and a battery powered impact. The blocks are used to set the car down without pinning the jack in place. You don't want to leave your tools behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Palmer Park or Palmer Woods? Kinda looked like the University District
    That's Palmer Woods. My parents live over there.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    A relative of mine had his wheels stolen off his vehicle this summer. But that happened in Canton.Things are getting bad all over.With that said I agree with many of the post.I myself don't want to live in the city the way it is. From what I hear ,see, and read, I couldn't justify the cost.To walk away from good looking house like that. I would have to say that man was at that point where it was his last straw. Good luck to him in his search for a new home.
    On top of paying about $5,000 a year in taxes and surely his insurance increased. Most likely the house note was already a struggle. So, he gave up and I don't blame him.

It's not Palmer Woods. I would guess it is Sherwood Forest--Palmer Woods does not have curbs.

Friend on West Outer Drive in Dearborn Hts. had all four wheels stolen from car in driveway last year.

I have a story that I have written here previously. Brand-new car with dealer tag in back window. Hear funny squeaking in the summer night but not alarmed. Squeaking continues so I get up and look out bedroom window - just curious. A guy has my new car up on jacks and is removing the wheels! Have my second set of keys with remote alarm hanging on a hook at bedroom window. I turn on the alarm and also the rooftop horn that can be accessed from an installation in my closet. Guy melts away. In the morning, put all the lug nuts dropped in the street back on and go immediately to the tire store to buy TWO different sets of wheel locks [[in case the thief happens to have a wrench for one of the sets). No more trouble. Obviously, a big attractant is the new car with brand-new tires. Need to put a real plate on as soon as possible so as not to attract attention to newness of car. Or not park on the street.

Can you get good locking lug nuts at Autozone or Pep Boys?

Can you get good locking lug nuts at Autozone or Pep Boys?
    ... and how much do they cost? I have racing tire$.

crawford Guest

Why don’t you both make a trip your local police station and ask for an YTD crime report on Vehicular Larcenies because you both are embarrassing yourselves senselessly by making unsupportive statements.

I'm embrassing myself because I have this crazy idea that vehicular larcenies are lower in Bloomfield Township than in Detroit?? Gee thanks for "educating" me...

Why don't you call the Bloomfield Township PD and "educate" them. Tell them their stats are all wrong, and Long Lake Road is indistinguishable from Seven Mile. That should be good for a hearty laugh on their end. Hell, maybe recommend they quit their tough beat on the streets of Bloomfield and go for a sleepy, no-action gig at the DPD!

Their crime stats are linked below...

http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/Service...nualReport.pdf

I do blame the victim for allowing the same crime to be perpetrated against him twice. The first time he was ignorant to the situation, once you are aware of your vulnerabilities, it’s your responsibility to protect yourself and your property, failure to do so only results in being able to only blame yourself. It’s no longer “I should have known better” its now “I did know and I didn’t do anything about it”. A $25 set of locking lugnuts would have saved us all from the ignorance that pollutes this site.
    Bla, bla, bla...

Everything is relative. There's violence in Mogadishu and violence in Copenhagen, so Mogadishu=Copenhagen, right? No difference whatsoever, right?

One shouldn't have to even lock one's car door if parked in the driveway of their residence. Period.

If you need to worry about any additional preventive measures beyond door locks, you by definition live in an unsafe area where the police cannot control things, and you should get the hell out.

I know that there are myriad reasons for crime in the city and I hope I'm not too off-topic here; but, after reading the posts on this thread I have to ask if the main root of crime in Detroit is the heroin trade. Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of The Wire. What do the experts think is the main problem?

I'm embrassing myself because I have this crazy idea that vehicular larcenies are lower in Bloomfield Township than in Detroit?? Gee thanks for "educating" me...

Why don't you call the Bloomfield Township PD and "educate" them. Tell them their stats are all wrong, and Long Lake Road is indistinguishable from Seven Mile. That should be good for a hearty laugh on their end. Hell, maybe recommend they quit their tough beat on the streets of Bloomfield and go for a sleepy, no-action gig at the DPD!

Their crime stats are linked below...

http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/Services/Police/2008AnnualReport/2008AnnualReport.pdf
    You went from “never” to “lower”. Don’t be such a dunce and stop whining.

Bla, bla, bla...

Everything is relative. There's violence in Mogadishu and violence in Copenhagen, so Mogadishu=Copenhagen, right? No difference whatsoever, right?
    Usually someone dies or is hurt badly. I think that’s a pretty universal outcome for violence.

One shouldn't have to even lock one's car door if parked in the driveway of their residence. Period.

If you need to worry about any additional preventive measures beyond door locks, you by definition live in an unsafe area where the police cannot control things, and you should get the hell out.
    But one shouldn’t leave one’s car open in the driveway of their residence. This type of thing literally invites crime. Even in areas where the police are much better than the DPD, this “Laissez-faire” attitude is rather stupid. Fortunately for you, the rest of your neighbors: lock their car doors, have alarm systems, and are a little more aware. This significantly reduces the area's vulnerability to crime because thieves realize that the chances that they will stumble upon an unlocked car or an unprotected home are little to one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast