Quote Originally Posted by elganned View Post
Grasping at straws there, oladub. Don't let your jaundiced view of "furriners" distract you from the need for reform.

I don't mind if a few crabs manage to get in with the fish, as long as there are enough fish so that we can all eat.
Unemployment benefits are more than the aliens make for these jobs, so where's the incentive for Americans to do them? Or are you advocating that those who already don't have enough to live on should get even less?
I have a jaundiced view of illegal aliens and especially their cheating employers - not legal aliens.

You are not recognizing the effects of supply/demand. I am advocating that harsh punitive measures be taken against the cheating employers to provide them with an incentive to hire US workers. Since US workers will often not do jobs paying illegal aliens wages, employers of illegal aliens will have to either increase wages and benefits, go out of business, or take the chances of going to jail for hiring illegal aliens. The meat packing industry used to pay union wages until they started hiring illegal aliens. At the beginning of this recession, up to 30% of construction workers were thought to be illegal aliens. I know Americans will work in packing plants and construction but not at illegal alien wages. The cheating employers benefit from hiring illegal aliens while US taxpayers and employees lose. The question is whose side is the government supposed to be on. I think our government should represent its own citizens - especially when, as you put it, there are not enough fish to go around.