Sorry to threadjack a bit, but I've eaten at Saltwater, Wolfgang Puck, Andiamo and Roast in the past 6 months. I've never been one for fine dining [[ I'm too cheap) but was in town for my anniversary and visiting with friends and decided to splurge a few times. I must say I much prefer Fishbone's to any of these places. I like a little noise, a few tv's in the place and a wait staff that greets you with a smile.
There's no atmosphere when you're eating in a secluded corner of a mostly empty restaurant. The service is usually slow and a little pretentious.
Last weekend we stayed at the Book Cadillac for our first and probably only time. We were so appalled by the prices in the Boulevard Room for breakfast we ordered white toast, 2 coffees and 1 orange juice. Price: $28.50. This is a Westin, not a Ritz Carlton folks. [[not to mention 15 bucks drycleaning charge because I tried on the complementary bathrob in the room)
Good economy or not, Detroit is never going to support most of these places until 20,000 people making 75K plus move downtown.