Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

True Eastsiders never cruised Woodward because before 696, it took 40 minutes and 5 bucks of gas to even get you there, and Telegraph might as well have been in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by 393Bird View Post
    Hey redfordman, where did you live? I lived on Ivanhoe near Roosevelt Elementry. Went to Redford Union, class of 61.
    I lived on Arnold, one street over from Fisher elementary and went to Thurston

Still Cruzin Redford !

That's a pretty nice old-style rod. Gotta be a '28 or a '29.

It was always Telegraph first & foremost for me..late 70's early 80's I lived on the stretch of road between Schoolcraft & Michigan ave..
    I built a little '73 Gremlin with a 390, wide-ratio four speed, and a 4.44:1 Detroit Locker equipped rear axle when I was seventeen, used to head out to Telegraph looking for races any night that it was dry outside..the little AMC had five different colors of paint on mismatched body panels, never got washed, and would run 11.37 in the 1/4 on street tires.

Anyway, for Westside street racers and racer wannabes in that era, Telegraph was the normal stompin' grounds, and Gratiot was Mecca..Woodward was just "that scraggly street with the zoo on one end and hookers on the other" that ya passed on the LONG trip down Eight Mile when you made the pilgramage..

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Don't forget West Warren and Livernois. The White Castle was where the drag racing were held.

You are so right. My friend use to trailer his 68 Dodge Dart with 440 power, down there to race. Also Oakman Blvd near Davison was a street racing scene as well.

Shock, What A RIDE !!.
    ZRX, You musta been out on the Graph when I first got wind of it when I around 12 yrs old. If I was with anyone, going any where on a friday or saturday nite back then I would try to get them to take Telegraph. Great times for any kid of any age.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3